standard outline cutter on MDF material

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris Armstrong
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

standard outline cutter on MDF material

Post by Chris Armstrong »

on our thermwood we have setup tooling groups so different materials have different cutters and specifically outline cutting tool.
we use a 9.56mm (tool 1) cutter to cut out melamine chipboard and a 12.6mm to cut our MDF board.

we use different cutters as the 9.56mm cant clear the MDF as fast and wears down the tool and often snaps.

our chipboard material is set up to cut with the correct tool (9.56mm)
but to get the machine to use 12.6mm to cut the MDF material i need to create a material for each colour in the machine and place it in the right tooling section.
so currently it still uses tool 1 (9.56mm)

is there another way i can set it up so when i cut the MDF it uses tool 2 (12.6mm) without having to creal a material for every colour board we use.

as the list of colours are a lot and it fills the machine with high amount of information.
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Re: standard outline cutter on MDF material

Post by Dale Wills »

Hi Chris,

You shouldn't have to 'create' a new material if the job is an eCabs file. If I remember correctly, once you load a job that has a new material, the machine should automatically populated that new material in the list of materials to choose from when assigning to a tooling group. If its not an eCabs file then yes you will have to manually create a new material at the machine and then add it to a tooling group.
Until you add your material to a tooling group it will adopt your default tooling group which by the sounds of it has your 9.56mm cutter as the outline tool.
Hope this helps.
Dale
Chris Armstrong

hi dale, thanks for the reply.

i did originally think of that but our default is setup to use the 12.6mm. is there another setting there that could be interfering with the default setting? ive made sure that it wasnt ignoring tooling groups.
Chris Armstrong

our Mel 16 Pbd HMR is a thickness of 16.25mm could the machine possibly think because the material loaded is also 16.25mm it puts it under the Mel 16 Pbd HMR? we have the Mel in a tooling group.
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Post by Stuart Douglas »

I believe that TOOLING GROUPS is the answer. I have Tooling groups set up for materials of similar thicknesses. However, some materials have different densities and require different tools, they have their own groups. That is, I tool 12mm MDF with an entirely different tool (and thus group) than I would 12mm corian. You can set up tool groups in the CN properties.

If you've specified distinct colors for each of your materials, in eCabS, then they should load without issue into CN. You may have to make sure they are classified in the proper tool group before you begin cutting. Hope this helps.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Chris Armstrong wrote:our Mel 16 Pbd HMR is a thickness of 16.25mm could the machine possibly think because the material loaded is also 16.25mm it puts it under the Mel 16 Pbd HMR? we have the Mel in a tooling group.
Chris,

Control Nesting sorts materials based on the name of the material. The name of the material can be from eCabinets, or one you've set up in the material database inside Control Nesting. If the material has been placed in a Tooling Group, and the Ignore Groups check box is unchecked, it will use that Tooling Group's settings. If that material name has not been added to a group, it will use the Default Group settings.

So if you want to use the 12.6mm to cut the MDF, you'll need to add each name of the MDF materials to a tool group that uses that tool. If you have 100 differently named MDF materials set up in eCabinets, you'll need to add each one to the proper tool group.

-Clint-
Chris Armstrong

hi clint,

i understand that if its not set in tooling it uses the default tooling group, but ive added a job with a completely new colour and havent put it in any tooling group so should use default group and the default is set to use 12.6 but uses 9.56 instead.

i have no issues with how to use the tooling group as ive had to do stuff to make things cut the way we would like recently and in the past.
sometimes it might be forgotten to add in a new colour to the tooling group. but seems like will have to make a system of it not being forgotten. although a chance of a new colour entering our system is not that often.

quite a few colours to add but long term it will be benificial.

thanks to all for your responses.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Chris Armstrong wrote:hi clint,

i understand that if its not set in tooling it uses the default tooling group, but ive added a job with a completely new colour and havent put it in any tooling group so should use default group and the default is set to use 12.6 but uses 9.56 instead.

i have no issues with how to use the tooling group as ive had to do stuff to make things cut the way we would like recently and in the past.
sometimes it might be forgotten to add in a new colour to the tooling group. but seems like will have to make a system of it not being forgotten. although a chance of a new colour entering our system is not that often.

quite a few colours to add but long term it will be benificial.

thanks to all for your responses.
Chris,

Can you send me an export from Control Nesting? Before you create the export, load a job that has a new colour and is calling the 9.56mm tool for outline rather than the 12.6mm. Email the export to cabinets@thermwood.com and I'll take a look at it. You can just put in the subject line Chris from the forums and I'll know what it is.

If you've never created an export, see the attached PDF.

Regards,
Clint
Attachments
Creating an Export.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 383 times
Chris Armstrong

hi clint,

have sent you an email. please use the second one as first one may have already been added to a tooling group.

thanks for taking some time to have a look into it