Bug in stretcher editor?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Bug in stretcher editor?

Post by Donald Thomson »

I'm trying to add a false back to a cabinet to create a void that stereo cables can be hidden in. I am using stretcher editor to add a 1/4" piece of plywood to create the false back. I have stated I want full dados on top, bottom, left and right. I am using a left-right stretcher, rotated 90*. I am getting the full dados cut in the top and the bottom but no dados cut in the left or right side.

Is there something I'm doing wrong to not get the dados cut in the left and right side? Something I'm not putting a checkmark next to?

Cabinet attached.

Thank you!!
Attachments
Entertainment center.jpg
Entertainment center.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 7667 times
Entertainment center.hsf
(674.02 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Chris Armstrong
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: Bug in stretcher editor?

Post by Chris Armstrong »

hi donald,

i have opened you cabinet and i can see what has happened. i couldnt get it to work on that cabinet.

however, i started a new cabinet and checked and changed the settings before putting in the stretcher.
mine has now got full dado left, right, top and bottom. so may be try designing that cabinet again?

i think there is a glitch there somewhere but for now if you redesign and it works for you the second time its a way around that problem
until they can get it fixed.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks Chris. I thought I was going nuts.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Definitely a glitch in the editor. Something to do with the order in which setting are changed. I took a previously designed cabinet, eliminated the partitions due to the reduced cabinet width ( and thus had to redo the fixed shelves), then added the fixed shelves back in. The phantom "stretcher" that is my back, no longer has a top edge where joinery can be changed. It always shows the butt. I have changed the settings in the menu first, and have tried to change the individual part, all of course in the appropriate editor. No dice. I'll redesign from scratch and see if it fixes the problem.
Attachments
upper 220.jpg
upper 220.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
upper 220.hsf
(410.02 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Stuart Douglas wrote:Definitely a glitch in the editor. Something to do with the order in which setting are changed. I took a previously designed cabinet, eliminated the partitions due to the reduced cabinet width ( and thus had to redo the fixed shelves), then added the fixed shelves back in. The phantom "stretcher" that is my back, no longer has a top edge where joinery can be changed. It always shows the butt. I have changed the settings in the menu first, and have tried to change the individual part, all of course in the appropriate editor. No dice. I'll redesign from scratch and see if it fixes the problem.
Stuart,

When I open your cabinet, the stretcher to the top has a negative inset value. They create an interference so it doesn't create a dado. That being said, can you give me exact steps you are taking to get a cabinet to do this? I assume you are not modifying the stretcher to have a negative inset value. Without exact steps and repeatability we can't correct an issue.

Don sent me an email last night with a cabinet that had the similar issues with inset values so if I can get repeatablity we can either correct a bug, or correct the methods used to install and manipulate the stretchers.
Donald Thomson wrote:I'm trying to add a false back to a cabinet to create a void that stereo cables can be hidden in. I am using stretcher editor to add a 1/4" piece of plywood to create the false back. I have stated I want full dados on top, bottom, left and right. I am using a left-right stretcher, rotated 90*. I am getting the full dados cut in the top and the bottom but no dados cut in the left or right side.

Is there something I'm doing wrong to not get the dados cut in the left and right side? Something I'm not putting a checkmark next to?

Cabinet attached.

Thank you!!
Don,

I replied to the email you sent in, but I have another question. On the cabinet attached, you said the stretcher was rotated 90 degrees. Do you mean you rotated it in the Adjust Stretcher settings, or when you installed it, you installed it as a up down stretcher rather than a front back stretcher?

-Clint-
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

My scratch cabinet does the same thing. If I go to the stretcher editor, set parameters and construction settings, everything looks good. I add and adjust my stretcher, and the joinery for the top edge displays an overlapping butt joint. If I check the editors construction settings, everything is just as I have designed it. If I right click on the part and check construction settings, it shows the top edge joinery as butt. If I highlight the part, then click on the construction settings in the toolbar it again shows the butt joinery. I have tried changing all three of these settings and I cannot get it to go to any joinery other than butt. :(

I did put a negative inset value in to try to get it to make the joinery. I couldn't get it to work with a zero value so i changed it to try and make the rabbet. Maybe the top is trying to do something with the reduced height back that is interfering with the stretcher?
Attachments
upper 220 scratch.jpg
upper 220 scratch.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 7604 times
upper 220 scratch.hsf
(362.02 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

AHHHHH, you are right, there is something about the inset that interferes with the changing of the joinery on that edge. If I changed the negative inset back to 0 THEN change the joinery, it is allowed to change. Thanks for helping me thru that!
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS