Oversized Holes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Oversized Holes

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I'm having an issue machining the RTA pattern shown in the attached photo. The pattern has an 8mm through hole cut in the field of the 20mmhole, which allows the fitting to be tightened from both side of the part. This hole then gets a covered with cap which has an 8mm stem that fits into the hole. On just about every job the caps fit snugly in the hole as they should (need a putty knife to get them out), but occasionally the caps are loose, loose enough that they fall out. Same caps are always used, so it's not a fluctuation in the cap size. Machining for all three holes is done with a 1/4" bit. If the bit size were the issue, then I'd think that the cam fittings on these same jobs would be loose also, but they're not. I'm using the SB Link

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
RTA.jpg
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Oversized Holes

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Using a quarter inch bit if you change direction of cut, or speed of cut, it could simply be a deflection issue, especially as the bit gets duller. If it is progressively getting worse it is also possible that the pinions or something may need some tightening or adjustment. Is this occurring on the same job or does it happen on job A but not job B? I use the default KD pattern( Hafele 263.10.705) but have modified it. If I do not specifically assign my modified pattern to a cabinet when I design it the default pattern is applied. I usually find this out while cutting the job. Is this being applied to the same material or is it occurring when you use a different material? Do you change link settings from job to job. Lastly which link version are you using? The early releases had issues in the pocket setup area. Hope this helps you find a solution.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Hi, same material used from job to job, no changes in the link settings. The same bit is used for multiple jobs. One job (most) will be fine, then on the next, all the 8mm holes are oversized, then the next job they're fine again.

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Are the holes always pocketed in the same sequence-- is the large pocket cut first then the smaller or vice versa -- or does it ever change? there is some thing that is not consistent and it could be sequence or it could be some part of the machine that is in need of fine tuning.
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Here is another thought. If one side of your gantry has excess backlash,even a very small amount then any of the holes machined on that side of the gantry might have more play than the holes which are machined on the side of the gantry which has no backlash. It might be worth a look?
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks very much for the feedback, I'll take a look at the machine tomorrow. What's odd is that it comes and goes, and when it does happen it's confined to a single job, but happens all throughout that job.