SBLink and dovetail drawers

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

SBLink and dovetail drawers

Post by Donald Thomson »

Have any of the SBLink (Shopbot) users tried using the dovetail drawer boxes? If so, did it work? Was it a nightmare to get working properly? Was it tough dialing in the parameters? Does it require flip operations? What was the cost for bits, etc. to get it working?

I use 5/8" Appleply for all my drawer boxes and concealed, undermount (Blum) slides.

Thank you.

Don
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Terry Hall

Re: SBLink and dovetail drawers

Post by Terry Hall »

Yes Don I did try it as I recall about 4 years ago, so there have been updates to the link since then. I think the cutter, which I purchased thru Thermwood was close to $100.00, but don't hold me to that. I used a 1/4" cutter and the dovetail cutter. I don't think I had to flip any parts. It started to work and prompted me to change the cutters, which I did, but then it simply stopped. I believe it cut the pins successfully but stalled on tails, or vice versa. I haven't tried it since then, but since your post reminded me about it, I may play with it again. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks for the response Terry.

Did Thermwood help you thru the problem with cutting just stopping? Or did you just shelve the idea?
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

At the time I was too busy trying to get kitchens out and simply went on to other things.