300+ Stretcher parts I can't label - Shopbot Link

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

300+ Stretcher parts I can't label - Shopbot Link

Post by Donald Thomson »

There seems to be inconsistencies in the way ShopBot Link does nesting.

I brought cabinets into SBLink on last Friday so I could create my part labels and my layout sheets. I did a Y nesting. All good. Printed my labels (300+) and my part layouts sheets (8 sheets). I shut my SBLink computer down for the weekend.

I loaded the same cabinets in this morning, in the exact same order I did on Friday, and nested the parts 'Y' just like I did on Friday and SBLink changed the layouts of parts on the boards. :wall:

Is this normal that nesting will be done differently/randomly from one time to the next or is there a bug that keeps the software from being consistent in its nesting strategies?

I now have to manually identify over 300 stretcher parts and try and figure out which of 60 cabinets they belong to. I HUGE PRODUCTION KILLER!!!! :wall: :wall:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Re: 300+ Stretcher parts I can't label - Shopbot Link

Post by Donald Thomson »

An additional piece of information on this puzzle:

The first sheet, of 8, nested perfectly and the labels were right. The 7 subsequent sheets are all nested differently then what the sheets said they should be.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

I use the link and only have this problem if I change a paramemter, grain direction, or add a sheet on the original and forget it when I redo the nest? DId you say that you printed the labels and the part sheets and if so is the information that you need not on the sheets?
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

The sheets I printed out don't represent what is being cut on the plywood. The labels don't even match the sheets. SBLink nested the stretcher parts differently then when I printed the labels. I've got 25 more sheets of plywood for this job (drawer box bottoms, cabinet backs, etc.) and another 250+ parts and am really nervous that I'm going to end up with the same cluster $*@()uk I've got now.

I just finished cutting 36 sheets of plywood for this job and every sheet, label and piece of plywood matched perfectly. Same exact job. No parameter changes, nothing. The first sheet of this current run of plywood (for stretchers) cut perfectly and everything matched up, sheets, labels and how the piece of plywood was cut. Starting with sheet #2 it went to $*it in a handbasket and I now have to measure each and every stretcher to find out which cabinet it goes to.

TOTAL waste of time that shouldn't have happened. :wall: :wall:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

THe only thing I might offer is that if you did nothing different would it be possible that something may have updated and caused a glitch. I stopped using windows ten because I did not know how to stop automatic updates and it caused issues for me. Sorry for your troubles, I have been there too.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

For processing 8 sheets of 3/4” plywood for my stretchers, I think I discovered something. Not sure if it’s a bug in Windows or a bug in SBLink. The stretcher parts were from 3 different jobs (TWD files). When I selected them, I used the Windows feature to click on the first file, hold the shift key, and click on the last file. This selects the first file, the last file and the file between the two files, in my case a total of 3 files.

I just completed processing my 1/2” plywood and selected the 3 files by clicking on each of them individually while holding the CTRL key, thus selecting all 3 files. The 10 sheets of 1/2” plywood I processed all nested exactly according to my layout sheets and stick on labels.

There might be a file ordering problem when you use the Shift key selection method versus clicking on each file while holding the CTRL key.

That is the only difference between the batch of 8 3/4” sheets of plywood for my stretchers (that were all screwed up) and the 10 sheets of 1/2” plywood.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA