Nesting discrepancy

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Nesting discrepancy

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi All,

I have an issue with the SB Link nesting between my design computer and control computer. I print out the nesting reports and labels from the design computer and save off the TWD file onto a flash stick.
At the control computer, I copy the TWD file over and load it into the Link program and proceed to nest (along the Y axis almost always) and write out the nest to the SB control.
Lat two jobs I have been getting a different nest between the control computer Link and the design computer Link nest. This makes the reports and labels from the design computer link worthless.
I've reloaded the link on both computers and installed the backed up Link settings settings (from the control computer's Link) to both computers. Still getting the same results. Different nests.
I've double checked that I'm loading the same TWD file into the Link programs as well.
Don't have a clue what could cause this after years of processing jobs this way. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards,
Tim
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Nesting discrepancy

Post by tim lucas »

Hi Tim,

Its always been like that with me. I always get a better nest at the control computer. then once I nest at the control computer I print my sheets and labels. As long as I do not re-nest it stays the same but I have found if I nest again it can change.
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks for the Response Tim,

If you hadn't said it's happened to you as well I'd have thought it couldn't happen and the problem could be fixed. I look at the TWD file as a type of print file and no matter the brand of computer, the file would behave in the program the same. Sorta like 'that computers one computer's Photoshop program handles files differently on this computer than the Photoshop program will on that other computer?!.....'
What's also got me scratching my butt is I've been cutting hundreds of sheets this way between my design computer and control computer with no discrepancy between the nests since 2011. That was until a week ago. It's darn curious and has kicked in my OCD for sure....

Thanks again,
Tim
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Mine has always been that way too. Optimization at the control computer has always been better for me and it was always my understanding that was the norm.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Why would a control computer be giving better results? Does the program know or care about weather there's a USB cable connecting it to a machine? Basically, the question to my mind is that software is software correct? How would having a USB cable running to a machine give the program an advantage of optimization over identical program that's not connected to a machine?
Strange.....
The scratching's getting worse... :shock:
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

It would be interesting to hear from the Thermwood folks as they must have swapped around TWD files and noticed the discrepancies of the nesting between their computers during the development of the link program?
I'd also hate to give up the printing of the ink jet printer in order to take advantage of the cab color indicator. Or I may have to get another printer just for the control computer. Hate to do that as I have NOTHING but control and Link on control computer. It's not even on a network to keep it squeeky clean.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I've had this issue as well. It really sucks when you've got 40+ drawer box parts on a $90 sheet of 5/8" Appleply and the printout sheets differ from the labels. Even when I synchronize the settings from one computer to another by using export and import from sblink, I get differing results. It seems kinda weird that the software uses a different nesting algorithm each time you do a nest with the exact same job with no changes.

I have my paper printer connected to my design computer (not my CNC control computer), and my label printer connected to my control computer. Maybe I need to do all my paper printing and label printing from one computer? That still wouldn't address the issue of different nesting results between two computers running the same piece of software.

Maybe this is something the TWD team could address for us poor sblink users?
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Its always differed for me too. I think there are more factors involved when nesting in the control software like bit size with added clearance and however it handles spacing for secondary operations like tenons and dovetails. If you're doing flip ops first too it considers that on the edge of the sheet. None of those things are a part of the parameters in ecabs nesting area.

Or are you guys using a desktop version of control nest?

Forrest
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

But I think if you export all your settings and stuff from the software running on the control computer and import it into the software running on your design computer, all the tool sizes, clearances, etc. should come across. Unless I'm mistaken about what gets exported and imported.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Post by tim lucas »

But if you go in settings and change one little thing like, part clearance or collar it should change everything as it may be able to save another square inch :-)
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Why would a control computer be giving better results? Does the program know or care about weather there's a USB cable connecting it to a machine? Basically, the question to my mind is that software is software correct? How would having a USB cable running to a machine give the program an advantage of optimization over identical program that's not connected to a machine?
Forgot to mention, I've always had a printer cabled to my control computer. It functions perfectly, been that way for 6 years or so, no problems.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Two thoughts....
Why have an import/export function at all if there is no intended consistency with nesting from one computer to another?
Why should having a difference of computetr give you different results of an application program?

Unless their is a reasonable answer to the second question, my guess is something is not coming over correct with the import/export settings function?

This would be the first instance of different results from the same application on different computers that I've dealt with.

Thermwood?