Printing labels from THM desktop

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Printing labels from THM desktop

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Using THM desktop, from Control Nesting, when I click the print icon and then Print Labels (for applying by hand), nothing happens, no dialog box comes up. There's a very quick "busy cursor", so something is happening, but beyond that, I don't know. Since no dialog box appears, I can't even choose which printer to print to - so I suppose it isn't a printer connectivity issue (both printers print fine from other programs anyway). I've also tried choosing different label (.rpt) files.

The Print Sheets dialog box DOES appear, and I can print sheets just fine. Just not labels. Any suggestions?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Printing labels from THM desktop

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Jeremy,

This is an issue we are aware of and are working on a way to resolve it. See the steps below for a temporary fix.

1. Shut down THM desktop edition.
2. Go to C drive. If the Rolling Nest folder exists, right click and rename it to Rolling Nest_ORG.
3. Right click and create a new folder. Name the folder Rolling Nest
4. Go to C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10\Control Nesting and copy the contents of that folder.
5. Return to the Rolling Nest folder created on the C drive and paste the files in.
6. Go to C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM.
7. Click on the system.ini file. Copy and Paste the file to make a backup of it.
8. Open the original file that doesn't have copy in the name of it. It can be opened with Notepad.
9. Modify the NestData= line to read NestData=C:\Rolling Nest\
10. When its changed, choose File, then Save. Do NOT Save As.
11. Close the .ini file.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

I know you don't wanna hear this, but that didn't seem to fix it, it's behaving the same. (And this time I even remembered about the elusive "Program Data" folder :lol: )

The only thing I'm not 100% clear on from your instructions is: should C:\Rolling Nest\ contain \Control Nesting\[all the pasted files], or should it be C:\Rolling Nest\[all the pasted files]?

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

I promise it should probably work :lol: , tested here and with another person.

You want C:\Rolling Nest to contain the files from the C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\THM\TDE10\Control Nesting location. So open the Control Nesting folder in ProgramData, CTRL+A then CTRL+C, go to C:\Rolling Nest, open that folder CTRL+V.

Or if you want, copy the Control Nesting Folder itself in the ProgramData location, and paste it into C drive location. Rename it Rolling Nest and be good to go. Probably should change my process steps to that...

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Yep, makes perfect sense, and that's exactly what I've done... now to figure out which one of those easy steps I screwed up, so hopefully I'll just be replying with a :oops: ....

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

My best guess without seeing is the modifying of the .ini file. Make sure it is still named system.ini and not system.ini.txt. It should look like the attached screenshot. I have general faith in that you were able to copy and paste the files from one location to the next, so the only thing left would be the .ini. Also make sure THM Desktop was shut down when you do these changes.

The label printing software needs the data to exist in C:\Rolling Nest. You copy the folder to create that location. Modifying the .ini tells Control Nesting to populate the C:\Rolling Nest location with the nest data needed for printing.
INI.JPG
-Clint
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Still scratching my head. Everything looks right, and I have confirmed that the system.ini is indeed looking to C:\Rolling Nest\, because I renamed that folder, and then when I opened THM it wanted me to specify the various directories where it could find things.

Our system.ini files seem to have a couple differences, probably not related, but here's a screencap of mine, in case they are actually related.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Is it still same scenario of nothing happening at all when you click Print Labels for Applying by Hand in Control Nesting? Or does the Crystal Reports dialog open, but there is another issue?

If nothing is happening go to C:\Rolling Nest and find the labels.exe. Double click it and see if the Crystal Reports print dialog opens. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll email you an installer. If it does open, let me know so we can work on next step.
and then when I opened THM it wanted me to specify the various directories where it could find things.
I assume you mean Control Nesting not THM?

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Clicking on labels.exe also does nothing, so looks like I need that installer.

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

You should have a private message.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Success! You da man, Clint. :beer:

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Good to hear. See I knew it should probably work :joker: .

-Clint-