Y axis Out of bounds

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Y axis Out of bounds

Post by Rob Davis »

Has anybody got any insight into why we could be running along machining a part where there are several of same part on a sheet and all at once we get "Y axis out of bounds"? It is in the middle of the sheet, we get about 60 pcs per sheet and it is the same one every time. It is in the 5th operation of the program so the other 4 operations all run without going out, I can graph the program on control and it shows good, shows nothing out of bounds, shows no stray lines, etc. I can look at it in MasterCam and it shows a good backplot and verify run. But when I run it on the machine, wham!
Any insights?
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Y axis Out of bounds

Post by tim lucas »

I would start checking wires and connections - does it have the problem when just moving at the same location?
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Tim, Thanks for the reply. It is same spot every time. I actually took chain out of program and it advanced but now hangs on another chain some 50 chains later, same issue. Took that out and advanced another ways through prorgam. I have Thermwood looking at it and sent all the files. I wondered if anyone else has had similar issue. Same general region of the table so not sure if program or machine related. Just looking for help if someone has already faced this problem.
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

I also suggest visually checking all the wire. we were having the same issue but with out z axis going out of bounds in the middle of the table. and we had cracked/faulty wires
cracked.PNG
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Thomas, thanks for the suggestion. In the picture, where did you take it? Are these wires in the spindle head or under the table?
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member

here is the picture
right here.PNG
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
CS43 cnc
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Thomas, ours is older machine and not set like that but we do have a wire chase similar and we will check. However, Thermwood had me turn off tool comp and program runs like a dream, even though we ran it 4" above table. Not in wiring likely.
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member

that's a better case scenario then
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
CS43 cnc
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Looks like you have some talented whiteboard artists there, Thomas... :lol:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Were there any triangular shaped parts in the batch?

When using cutter compensation, the machine offsets and then extends the edges to where they will meet. With acute angled cornered parts (as found in triangular parts), the point of intersection could extend right out of the machines working envelop.

If you have acute angled parts, we normally suggest that our clients add very small fillets to the "pointy bits" - say a radius of 0.001". This then adds a radius between the lines that "rolls" the tool around the "point" and keeps it within the machine envelop/sheet. The small radius should not make a difference in the "sharp/pointy" corner.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Rob, Do you use Mastercam, to write code directly, to your machine? or do you still use control nesting?
Nothing related to your issue, just curious.
Thanks Will
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

All, thanks for the feedback. So you know, this issue was a tool comp issue in the program. Apparently the automatic tool comp adjustment was not doing something properly. In Mastercam, we can either use the tool diameter actually in the machine or we can hard code the tool diameter before we post the program. It was resolved by removing the control tool comp from the program and just using the hard coded tool comp. I was told we might be able to upgrade our THM software from 8.5.3 to 8.7 (?) and it would help. Because we needed parts, we have not done that and have continued operating. However, I have generated other programs using the control comp and they work. Maybe something to do with the complexity of this program as we have 91 parts in a sheet and each part has about 15 features of various shapes and sizes.

Will, we generate a post from Mastercam and take the NC file to machine. We do not use control nesting for these kinds of parts. We fill a sheet and run the whole sheet.

Brad, no triangles but lots of curves and sharp corners. and pockets of various depths.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Thanks Rob, I had run into this issue, running dxf files, thru Control Nesting . Have not had the issue since. Using our current software to save g code to NC files.91 parts with 15 features, make your head fuzzy.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram