Drawer Reveal Issue

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Thillemann
Company Name: Racine Woodwork

Drawer Reveal Issue

Postby Terry Thillemann » Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:05PM

I'm having issues with the drawer reveals while trying to make a 32mm base cabinet using "Cntr 16 Shift x 2" design from https://davelers.com/32mm/Drawers/images/1767_02.png

When I open eCabinet software, I choose develop cabinets or assemblies. I choose an empty carcass base cabinet which I stripped down from a cabinet in one of the libraries. Then I choose door/drawer editor, the large empty section of the cabinet, and add drawer. I choose 317mm height with 0mm inset, 0mm for all drawer to door and drawer to drawer gaps, 3mm top, 1.5mm left/right, and 0mm bottom reveal. I check to add a drawer box with 40mm top/bottom inset, 5.5mm left/right inset, and 43.5mm slide distance from bottom.

Afterwards, if I hover over the drawer, it says the length is actually 317.5mm and thickness 19.05mm. I continue on and the middle drawer of 285mm shows 285.75mm and top drawer of 157mm shows 157.16mm. I'm guessing this is why I'm close to a 1.5mm reveal on top rather than 3mm?

I do not have any material defined which is 19.05mm and the settings are set to metric with no rounding. Any idea what's going on here?

Terry Thillemann

Re: Drawer Reveal Issue

Postby Terry Thillemann » Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:24PM

It seems I have the wrong link or the picture has been changed from the website. I'll keep looking for the correct link and post.

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Mon, Jun 25 2018, 7:37PM

Well, Dave updated the website and the original drawing has been replaced but ultimately it's the same drawing only that system holes were shifted down 1.5mm causing the faces to shift with them for 3/0 top/bottom reveal.

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Tue, Jun 26 2018, 9:33AM

I have seen a couple of posts where cabinets are chosen from existing libraries. These are my thoughts. If you choose a cabinet from the standard library provided by Ecabinets and build it from scratch you know exactly what you have . If you pull a cabinet from a library created by someone else there maybe constaints that interfere with any changes you may want to make. There is a steep learning curve to get to the point where starting from scratch is fun but the learning videos from Ecabinets are a great place to start and you should be able to build any somewhat standard cabinet in less than 30 minutes. Once you have it built you can put it in your library for the future. Once you have your own cabinet library then resizing and modification are much easier and less problematic because you know what you are starting with. Your library will be yours but the greater reward is having control of your production. As I said, these are my thoughts.

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Postby tim lucas » Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:57PM

Terry Thillemann wrote:I'm having issues with the drawer reveals while trying to make a 32mm base cabinet using "Cntr 16 Shift x 2" design from https://davelers.com/32mm/Drawers/images/1767_02.png

When I open eCabinet software, I choose develop cabinets or assemblies. I choose an empty carcass base cabinet which I stripped down from a cabinet in one of the libraries. Then I choose door/drawer editor, the large empty section of the cabinet, and add drawer. I choose 317mm height with 0mm inset, 0mm for all drawer to door and drawer to drawer gaps, 3mm top, 1.5mm left/right, and 0mm bottom reveal. I check to add a drawer box with 40mm top/bottom inset, 5.5mm left/right inset, and 43.5mm slide distance from bottom.

Afterwards, if I hover over the drawer, it says the length is actually 317.5mm and thickness 19.05mm. I continue on and the middle drawer of 285mm shows 285.75mm and top drawer of 157mm shows 157.16mm. I'm guessing this is why I'm close to a 1.5mm reveal on top rather than 3mm?

I do not have any material defined which is 19.05mm and the settings are set to metric with no rounding. Any idea what's going on here?
Terry,
So if I understand correctly, you are starting with a bare, base cab, adding a drawer front (let's dont worry about the box yet) and it is off by .5mm from the start ? Can you please capture the screen showing your construction settings for the drawers

Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 12:25PM

I'm trying to take a screenshot but as soon as I hit the buttons to do so the tooltip dissapears which says all the dimensions ... is there another way to display the dimensions?

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 12:31PM

Ok, I figured it out. Here are both drawer and door installs. The door will allow me to achieve the 3mm top gap, drawers will not if I add all of them, but you can immediately see the sizes are different than what I've specified. This is a cabinet from the eCabinet library for download which I stripped down.
Attachments
Drawer Install.jpg
Drawer Install 2.jpg
Door Install.jpg
Door Install 2.jpg

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 12:37PM

I just opened 3 drawer base RP cabinet from ESL6872-2 Base Cabinet library, deleted the drawers and partitions, set the size to 768mm, added my 317mm drawer, and the tooltip shows the same inconsistency in size … is this normal?

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Postby Ralph Balanik » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 1:36PM

Using a construction calculator I converted 3/4 inch to mm and it produced 19.05mm. Is your material library listed in inches rather than mm.? If this cabinet came from a library which was produced with material from an inch sytem then unless you change the material in the cabinet (not just in your material library) the 19.05 will remain. If you build a cabinet from scratch then it is wise to go into construction settings and set all of the parameters for the cabinet before you begin your build. If you have settings in construction settings and try to remodel a cabinet that has been built with a set of parameters different then what you attempt to change, it will often revert back to the default parameters that were set initially during the previous build process. Hope I explained myself in a comprehensive manner. :lol:

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 2:08PM

Thanks Ralph. All my material is in mm and are whole numbers. I replaced all the material in the cabinet with my material other than drawer boxes and drawers/doors which I couldn’t figure out at first. I believe I was able to do that through global settings but perhaps when I add new drawers it doesn’t use my material and reverts. I should be able to change by putting the drawers in and then using global settings afterwards?

Are door/drawer material remembered and defaulted across all cabinets or are they unique to each cabinet so if I start fresh and make a seed cabinet all cabinets made from that will keep the same material?

tim lucas
Guru Member

Postby tim lucas » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 4:19PM

Terry Thillemann wrote:Thanks Ralph. All my material is in mm and are whole numbers. I replaced all the material in the cabinet with my material other than drawer boxes and drawers/doors which I couldn’t figure out at first. I believe I was able to do that through global settings but perhaps when I add new drawers it doesn’t use my material and reverts. I should be able to change by putting the drawers in and then using global settings afterwards?

Are door/drawer material remembered and defaulted across all cabinets or are they unique to each cabinet so if I start fresh and make a seed cabinet all cabinets made from that will keep the same material?
Each cabinet will remember and global settings wont change the default.
go to your cabinet door/drawer - load the default drawer front change what you need including the material - save that drawer front
then you should come out corect
www.TLCW.us

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 5:50PM

Tim, this is exactly where I've struggled to update the material in the past.

I open the cabinet, open drawer/door editor, open door/drawer selection, and select load default. When I switch to the general tab, no matter what species I select I can only choose 19.05mm and 25.4mm. I'll make a brand new cabinet to see if this changes but I don't understand how the thickness would impact the width in the program adding an extra .5mm to .75mm...

Terry Thillemann

Postby Terry Thillemann » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 6:58PM

Well it looks like it's going to take me some time to figure out how to make my own cabinet rather than using an existing cabinet as a seed … creating and aligning display panels didn't seem to work, I assume there's some other way?

tim lucas
Guru Member

Postby tim lucas » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 7:07PM

Terry

Dont give up :shock:

The best way is to use a seed cabinet.

I understand your delema but this system will work for you.
www.TLCW.us

tim lucas
Guru Member

Postby tim lucas » Wed, Jun 27 2018, 7:20PM

I thought we were looking a the height problem not width, sorry.

So i am looking at your height of drawers, you do not need any space between the drawer fronts height wise? You have them set to 0

drawer width - you have a reveal of 1.5 mm reveal - that means take the cabinet side material thickness and subtract 1.5 mm and the drawer front will cover the rest.

Sorry but i dont use metric so i get a little lost but in your first post I think i may have a solution - look at this box
Capture.JPG
would that help??
www.TLCW.us

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”