Manual tool change

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Manual tool change

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I need to be able to do a manual tool change (on our CS45), so I went through the manual and got the additional "changer" set up, no problem - so I thought. Now I'm to this point:
Capture.JPG
As far as I know, there is no such key or switch on the machine. How to continue? Is there a way I can override the requirement for a key/switch? Is there another way to invoke a manual tool change?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Manual tool change

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Jeremy,

The only way I can offer you is regarding what you see in the manual. The manual tool change option is a retro on to older machines and can be sold with new machines. It requires the switch and a software update to the machine.

The process on the machine after the tool is set up, when the tool number is called in the program, the machine unloads current tool, then goes to the defined park position. You flip the switch so the machine cannot be moved, and spindle cannot be accidentally started, and then insert the oversized tool. Flip the switch, press cycle start, and machine does what it needs to. When the next tool is called, it returns to the park position, flip switch, unload the oversized tool, flip switch, cycle start and machine moves on.

-Clint-
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Okay, let's shift gears then. I need to be able to load a tool that doesn't fit into the standard vertical tool holders. Our little CS41 has 3 handy side-loading holders for this purpose, but the big CS45 does not. Seems like an oversight. I could exchange one of the side loaders on the CS41 for one of the vertical loaders on the CS45, no problem. What would be the procedure to tell the machine that the tool holder is now a side loader?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:Okay, let's shift gears then. I need to be able to load a tool that doesn't fit into the standard vertical tool holders. Our little CS41 has 3 handy side-loading holders for this purpose, but the big CS45 does not. Seems like an oversight. I could exchange one of the side loaders on the CS41 for one of the vertical loaders on the CS45, no problem. What would be the procedure to tell the machine that the tool holder is now a side loader?
You'd have to get in touch with the guys in retro for a new PLC. The side load tool holders have a different procedure to load and unload and it isn't a check box or setting change that can be made at the control. retrofits@thermwood.com would be your contact to see what all is involved. I would say there is a fair chance that it would cost more to add the manual tool change option, but it may be worth getting a quote on it as well. They would need your serial number in the email as well.

-Clint-
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

The other issues that could arise with adding a Side-Load to your tool changer are:
  • Dust Hood Size - Since "Side-Loading" requires a lateral move to during the tool load/unload, the dust hood needs to be large enough to accomodate the move while it is down over the bracket.
  • Spacing between the Vertical-Load *and* the Side-Load Brackets - Since the dust hood may have to be larger, the spacing between the brackets may all have to be increased.
Note: The above is why "Side-Load" brackets may not be "standard". Adding them to a machine configuration can reduce the number of tool change positions available, and therefore is an option-with-limitations.

Therefore, it may not just be a case of "installing the Side-Load bracket" and "applying a PLC update".

As Clint indicated, the Retro Group would have to take this into consideration and is best suited to advise you.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Steve Detina
Company Name: Silhouette Custom Cabinets

Post by Steve Detina »

Morning Gentlemen,

We have a similar situation where we have a few tools that are larger then the current tool holder can handle. We have made tools holders out of plastic to accommodate the larger tool.

Is there some type of coding that can be called to:

- have the machine go to home
- shut off the spindle
- required operator to put tool lock on
- operator then makes tool change manually
- operator then turns tool lock off
- CN then starts program again
- asks operator to confirm correct tool is loaded
- continues with program

It is just very time consuming to change out the tool holder each time we have to use these larger tools.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Cheers
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Steve Detina wrote:Morning Gentlemen,

We have a similar situation where we have a few tools that are larger then the current tool holder can handle. We have made tools holders out of plastic to accommodate the larger tool.

Is there some type of coding that can be called to:

- have the machine go to home
- shut off the spindle
- required operator to put tool lock on
- operator then makes tool change manually
- operator then turns tool lock off
- CN then starts program again
- asks operator to confirm correct tool is loaded
- continues with program

It is just very time consuming to change out the tool holder each time we have to use these larger tools.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Cheers
This is the process I outlined above. Depending on machine and software version you can have the retrofit done for the manual tool switch, or possibly the oversized tool grippers.

-Clint-