Tooling of part editor cuts

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Tooling of part editor cuts

Post by Stuart Douglas »

I cannot for the life of me figure out why any TWD files from ECabS that program a part editor cut (cutting a window in a cabinet back for access, for example) use a different tool than the outline tool. My machine picks up the 1/4" down-shear I use for smaller dados, every time. I've got my tooling arranged and ordered from largest to smallest in the controls tool settings, and pockets seem to use the correct (1/2" when appropriate size, 1/4" otherwise) tool, but It likes to try to cut part editor cuts with the 1/4" tool. Does anyone know how to specify the "tool" or maybe a diamter of tooling, in ECabS? Or is there a way to tell the control to pick up the outline tool to do this job? TIA
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Tooling of part editor cuts

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Stuart,

Check you setting Tool to Use below Cleanup Amount in Settings. I'm going to take a guess and say it is probably set for Smallest Pocket Tool.

If that isn't the case, can you post an export with a job loaded (preferably with just the part in question checked to be nested)? I can dig into it a little better that way.

-Clint-
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Clint,

Your suggestion does in fact change the tool in question, but my desire is to make the thru cut described with a tool that is normally not called for when pocketing. When I program a part editor cut that cuts thru the piece, I'd like it to cut with the same bit I would do my outline with, so as to have show quality edges. Is there a way to discern to ECabS the different type of cut? If I were to make some geometry that removes a portion of the part at the , it is considered part of the outline and cuts accordingly. If I remove, by thru cutting, and interior portion of the part, I don't want the control to use a pocketing bit. Since it is a thru cut, I'd like to cut it with the outline bit. My tooling setup is such that the bits for pocketing are different diameters than the outline bit, so as things are, it is using the 1/4" bit (smallest pocket tool) to free the large piece of off-fall. I changed the setting you suggested, and it will now use the 1/2" bit (largest pocket tool), but Ideally I would like to make any thru cuts with the 3/8" compression bit (not normally specified as a pocketing tool because of the up-cut portion) so that the edges are crisp, and without the down-cut bits jamming hot sawdust against the spoilboard.

I've attached the export, before I changed your suggested setting, for reference. Thanks for looking into this Clint!
Attachments
ControlNest6-08.cab.zip
(632.43 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Stuart,

You aren't able to specify which tool is doing the pocketing. Your only way to get your 3/8" tool to do the pocketing would be to eliminate the 1/2" tool from the list. Depending on what all you are cutting in the job, it may or may not be what you want though.

Also worth noting on the export you sent in, if you eliminate the shelf pin holes for the back, you won't waste time on the random drill operations.

-Clint-
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Clint, thanks for your aid in this. I wish that ECabS would distinguish between a true "pocket" and a "thru cut." The impetus for all of this was of course a few broken bits. So I have changed the max penetration on the smallest pocket tool to force it to make multiple passes instead of full depth. This should enable me to use that bit as desired for smaller pockets AND be able to support thru "outline" cuts when the part editor has been utilized. Thanks for taking a look.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

I have the same issue ! I will adjust my max depth too so machine has to use my outline tool to do thru outline cuts. It would be nice to have an option in control nesting to tell to Always use outline tool to do all tru cuts and pockets !
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I set up the same tool# as my outline tool as only pocket box checked and make sure its before all other pocketing tools.
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

The order means Something ? I thought it always used the largest tool set ?
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I had issues years ago and was told it looked for the best tool starting from #1. Putting it first in line helped. My understanding is it's supposed to look for the largest pocketing tool available but I never strayed from making sure it was first in line too.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

A little correction on Forrest's wording, and for clarification for others.

Control Nesting does not look for the "best" tool to do the job. Pocketing tools are sorted from largest to smallest and applied from largest to smallest. Everything else is by operation number. If Operation 1 is capable of doing the job, Control Nesting will not look any further to find a "better" tool to do the job. With the exception of Pocketing tools.

-Clint-