Sink Drawer Cabinet Construction Suggestions (part 1)

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Sink Drawer Cabinet Construction Suggestions (part 1)

Post by Daren LaBranche »

It looks like I'm limited to adding 4 attachments to a post so I'll break this up into multiple parts.

I'm hoping some of you more seasoned Ecab vets will have some ideas on how to solve this one.

I need to build a vanity sink base that looks like it has 6 drawers, but the two top drawers are actually one and will open together as one with a U-shaped cutout for the plumbing.
Vanity Sink Drawer Base.png
I'm hoping to use this flexible plastic trim thingy to finish off the cutout and allow me to create the drawer box in Ecabs so I can cut the bottom on the CNC with the rest of the cab parts.
Plastic Thingy 1.png
Plastic Thingy 2.png
Daren LaBranche

Sink Drawer Cabinet Construction Suggestions (part 2)

1st Problem: Drawers in Cabinet
When I build the cab with a partition to mount the drawer slides on for the two lower drawers, it won't let me add a single drawer above it.
Cab with Partition.png
And if I build the cab with a vertical stretcher instead of a partition, it won't let me add two drawers side by side.
Cab with Stretcher.png
2nd Problem: Drawerbox Cutout
I can't figure out how to make the dbx with a round fronted cutout in the bottom and two separate back pieces. This is as far as I could get, but it's obviously not what I need.
Dbx Fail.png
Dbx Fail.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 10708 times
I look forward to hearing your ideas. Thank you.
Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

Re: Sink Drawer Cabinet Construction Suggestions (part 1)

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Darren install a shelf first at the desired height for the first drawer then install your partition below that. You can make the shelf a phantom part or just give it a back inset so that it is narrow enough to clear the sink. This will also help hold the partition at it's front edge at the proper location.
Install the lower drawers as normal. Then go to the DBX editor tab and install a single drawer for the top drawer. Then go to the main editor tab and install two display drawer fronts.

For the curved cutout this needs to be done in the part editor in the "Contour area". To give a quick example for a 10" wide cutout connected by an arch.
First right click --> create edges. Then draw two lines 5" from center of drawer bottom. Add a circle with a 5" radius at desired location. Trim the intersecting lines so you are only left with the desired cutout shape. Go back and get out of countour mode. Right click --->Cut pocket using closed counter --> click on cutout ---> Cut through.

I don't know how familiar you are with part editor and aligning display parts like the display drawer fronts but the above will get the job done for you if I understood your situation correctly.
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Oh by the way don't forget to make those drawer boxes shallow enough to clear water lines that protrude into cabinet. I've never made that mistake :oops:
Daren LaBranche

Brilliant Carmen! It never ceases to amaze me at the ways people find to make software do WTF we need it to. As with most things Ecabs, working in Contour mode is about as intuitive as teaching my dog to fly a plane. But thanks to you I was able to get the bottom cutout as required, and can even reposition and resize it easily now with constraints. Your suggestion to use a fixed shelf with display drawer fronts worked perfectly also. Here's what the cab looks like w/o the right-hand set of drawers.
Cab.png
You might notice I couldn't figure out how to cut the back into two pieces (there's a little bit of it stiill connecting the two halves), but it will surely get me through this job.
cut back.png
Yup, I hear you about mechanical clearances in cabinets; hence the reason I'm spending all this time planning and designing this cabinet.

Thanks very much Carmen.
Carmen Addamo

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Glad it all worked out for you. I don't have a solution for the back other than instaed of using a drawer from the DBX editor you could turn a cabinet into a drawer and install that in the vanity creating an assembly. I don't personally like assemblies in ecabs if they are part of a multi cabinet project. I find if there is more than one assembly ecabs gets confused. For one single job I'd be fine with it.
Daren LaBranche

I hadn't thought of adding a cab to another cab Carmen. Assemblies are something I haven't use a lot, but they're definitely helpful. Didn't realize they had 'consequences'.

As an occasional user I like to review and record my steps, like I've just finished up for this cab, and I'm feeling the nauseating deja vu of days I've lost to Ecabs. It's like a cheap drug: The benefits are awesome, but the steps to get there are border line insanity. Unfortunately, I've worked with 'professional' software before and I think that's ruined my expectations of everything else.

Thank again.
Daren LaBranche

A Note About Display Fronts

Unless I'm missing something, I can't select the display fronts on this cab in the LDE, so I can't check their dimensions or fit with other parts. You can see that the lower drawer front that was installed as a regular drawer is selectable and I added a dimension to it, but the top drawer front isn't and the marker won't snap to it (closest snap point shown).
Display front unselectable.png
Display front unselectable.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 10677 times
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

Are those display drawer fronts display panels or drawer fronts without drawer boxes?
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Daren LaBranche

Display drawer fronts David. Here's where/how I added them.
Display Drawer Fronts.png