Hp Printers - No leaders

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Hall

Hp Printers - No leaders

Post by Terry Hall »

I read this post by Kerry in another individual's topic - My problem now is when I try to print from the LDE to any of the HP printers we have at work, the leader lines on dimensions won't print. I get the dimension and arrows but no leaders. It works fine with my Dell and Canon printers at home. At work I have to print to PDF and then print the pdf's to be able to show leaders.

I didn't want to hijack somebody else's topic so decided to post a new one.

I've had exactly the same problem with a couple of my HP printer(s). My HP Envy 5540 wireless won't print a leader, just the arrow. However my older HP 2510 in the shop does print leaders. I've always found this odd and I'd like to know why. My printer drivers are up to date on all my printers. So is it the printer(s) or is it the computer attached to that particular printer. Anybody care to offer an explanation, solution, or theory?
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Hp Printers - No leaders

Post by Ralph Balanik »

I had a similar problem some time back. I ended up finding the driver disk that came with the my printer and installed it. That solved my problem. Windows 10 ( which I do not use) has a habit of doing updates automatically which may or may not be productive (and I never figured out how to disable). A couple of times it has been suggested that going to the printer manufacturer for driver updates rather than windows update might help. Hope I am not repeating what someone else has offered.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Right Ralph, I use Windows 10 and when it installs updates for my Nvidia driver I have to remove it and go to the Nvidia website for the driver. It hasn't been as bad lately, not sure why.

I've checked HP's website for a new driver to no avail. I've installed and re-installed from my disk, but also to no avail. Like I said previously, in my shop I have an HP 2510 series and it prints the leaders fine. I had a Lexmark that printed the leaders, no problem. Oh well, one of these days the 5540 will be antiquated and I'll replace it with a different brand. :beer:

Off topic Ralph, but I'm in Iowa and have 6 ft snowdrifts in my yard (I live on 5 acres out in the country). It was all my 8 ft snowblower and tractor could do to break them up and move them. I was in Saskatoon several years ago and this reminds me of that, they had a lot of snow at the time and it was really cold. I believe you're sending your Canadian snow down here and I'd like you to cease and desist :joker:
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Just some stabs here....

Try checking the Printer Settings in the Printer Properties under Windows - particularly any "Advanced" settings. Look at things such as an "Econo" mode, "Graphics Density", "Halftoning" or other settings that could effect the "darkness" of thin lines.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Terry,
I do not envy you the amount of snow you are getting, we have had about 18 inches to 2 feet which is maybe a little more than usual. We have had about six weeks of extreme cold temperatures, about 15 -25 below farenheit. Looking forward to a break from that!

Back to printers - I have no further suggestions - sorry.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Terry,

I installed the HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit) for my printer from the HP site this morning and it fixed my leader printing problem.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Thanks Brad I'll look at that.

Just saw your post Kerry. For sure and thanks, I'm going to download that this afternoon after I get done spraying some cabinet doors. :D
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Nope, thanks anyway Kerry, but the Universal Print Driver didn't work for me. Message said it wasn't compatible with my printer. Maybe my printer is too old, I've probably had it for 5 or six years. :wall:
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Here is something interesting, to me anyway. My printer prints the leaders fine in my other cad programs, just not in Ecabinets. It's something specific to Ecabinets apparently, but I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe TMC would have some idea(s).