Possible switch from other CNC to a TWD CNC

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Possible switch from other CNC to a TWD CNC

Post by Donald Thomson »

Hi All.

I'm starting to think about upgrading my CNC to a TWD machine. I am a two man shop and I crank out a lot of plywood cabinet parts. I've invested hundreds of hours developing some very complete seed cabinet library's in eCabinets and don't care to switch to another design program.

My questions are to those who own TWD CNC's.

1. How reliable are they for high production throughput?
2. How's the integration between eCabs and the hardware?
3. How is support from TWD when you have a problem (24/7 support?)?
4. How responsive is your sales/customer service/technical support rep to your requests/issues?
5. Experienced turn around time on getting machine repaired?
6. I have single phase power in my shop. Will TWD machines run on single phase or do you need three phase power?
7. How helpful was TWD in getting the machine up and operating when you first got it?
8. How is the machine delivered (fully assembled/some assembly required)? Do I need heavy lifting equipment to unload and position it in the shop?
9. Does TWD help in getting the machine powered up, tuned up and aligned?

I'd be switching from ShopBot where you pretty much do all this yourself. A ShopBot CNC comes in lots of pieces you need to assemble.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Don
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Re: Possible switch from other CNC to a TWD CNC

Post by Rob Davis »

Don,
I am surprised nobody else has responded here and sorry for not doing so earlier. We are really busy making stuff so no time to cruise the Forum.

1- We run our machine about 10 hours a day. Owned it since 2003 and upgraded to new controls in 2015 +/-. It is a great pace of machinery and a tool we could not live without. We take good care of it but we do work it pretty hard these days. We did not run it as hard as we do now in first years. Other than controls and longer tool bar, machine is as we bought it.
2- eCab is seamless to machine. We have figured out our best method of transferring files and such but once you figure out what works for you, no issues.
3- Over the years we've had some issues with the machine, some self-inflicted, some mechanical or electrical. They have been resolved quickly and efficiently. We have had THM on-site a couple times to help us and they were prompt.
4- We call direct to TWD support for any issue we have with machine. We did have a lingering problem and I resorted to calling our sales rep and it got resolved in a day.
5- We have had very few issues but all good. Machine is pretty simple so you also learn to fix it yourself for most issues.
6- TWD will have to answer this one.
7- TWD set up our machine in our shop. We bought it new and purchased their installation. We had to get everything ready for it but it came in a coupe pieces. I would not have tried to do this myself even though I think I could. They have the experience and tools and if the machine is not set up properly and level and secure, you will have nothing but troubles.
8- We moved the machine off truck with a 7000# lift truck and slings. TWD will tell you what you need depending on machine you are buying.
9- I would not do it any other way. You will likely buy this service but it is worth it.

Couple hints - make sure air supply is dry, power is consistent and you keep up with preventative maintenance liek oiling, greasing, cleaning, etc.

Best of success!
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Re: Possible switch from other CNC to a TWD CNC

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thank you for the feedback Rob. I really appreciate it!!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com