Desktop Software & Time Study

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Troy Hollinshead
Company Name: Leidys Custom Woodworking

Desktop Software & Time Study

Post by Troy Hollinshead »

Ive never been able to graph from the desktop software it always throws errors. We imported everything from the actual cnc years ago. does the desktop software graph programs that I load into it like the cnc does?

Secondly I have a program that I'd like to see how long it takes to run. We are possibly going to be doing alot of these parts and want to see how long it takes to cut. Is this possible from the desktop software?

Thanks
Troy Hollinshead
Leidys Custom Woodworking
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Desktop Software & Time Study

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Troy,

What is the THM software version on your machine and on the desktop version of the software?

-Clint-
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

9.1.8 Desktop Edition
9.1.2 CNC
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

you have to import your sub routines from the physical cnc. that the only way I got it to work cause for whatever reason thm desktop doesn't ship with them.

the file path is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\THM\TDE10\data\subs
sub location.PNG
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

and for a rough time estimate THM 10 has added a time estimator
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Troy,

The easiest way to get your office computer set up to match your machine would be to run THMsync. This is available on your desktop version on the C drive in the System Folder. Move the THMsync.exe to a flash drive or put it on a network location you can get to from the machine. Run the sync at the machine following the prompts. That will create a file for your desktop version. Run the sync on the desktop choosing the file created by the machine.

Your machine is new enough to be able to update to the latest version of THM10 for free. As Tom mentioned, THM10 has a program time estimator that you can use to estimate duration of a program. With new version if it, Control Nesting can also create a report that breaks down times for each sheet. If you want to update the machine, let me know and I can get you a link to download THM10 desktop edition as well. If you update to THM10 you'll have to rerun the THMsync that is provided with that version. THMsync for version 10 is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Thermwood\THM\TDE10.

-Clint-
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

My desktop computer was setup using the desktop sync software. I looked at the folder that Thomas Suggested above and copied the folders over, but that still didnt get it running.
If I remember correctly the desktop software updated and a new version of the desktop sync program was ran a few years back. So im thinking the desktop sync software has been ran 2 times with 2 different versions over the years, I've never been able to graph. I can manually copy the files off of the cnc machine if you know the filenames and paths. Z axis out of bounds is the error that im getting when trying to graph.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Hollinshead

Bump
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Troy,

Sorry lost track with this thread. Z axis out of bounds typically will point to a tool number not having a daylight, both on the machine and the desktop version.

As far as file to copy if you are using THM9 Desktop Edition:

Machine:
1. On C:\ Drive-
a. Contents of Rolling Nest folder
b. Contents of OFFSET.TAB folder
c. In C:\system, Toolman.thm
d. Contents of Profile Modeler folder
2. In Control Nesting, go to File, and choose Save Settings/Tooling. Save it somewhere to find.

Computer:
1. From machine C:\ Drive go in the same location as the machine.
2. In Control Nesting, go to File, and choose Load Settings/Tooling. Find the file from the machine and choose it.

You may also need a few macros off the machine, but you don't want to copy over all of them. The desktop version lacks a PLC and some macros require the PLC to make a decision.

-Clint-
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

I copied the files listed from the cnc machine to desktop pc.
There was no OFFSET.TAB folder on either of the machines that I could find.
The guys are in the middle of a job so I havent got to export the tooling from control nesting.
The Z axis out of Bounds G00Z0.5000 error is still there, so I'll try again after I get the tooling export.

Thanks
Troy
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Troy,

Hopefully getting that toolman file will do it for you. For the offset file, look in the system folder for a file OFFSET.THM. If that exists (and it should), grab that and copy it to the same location on your desktop version.

That all being said, if you update to THM10 on machine and desktop so you can get time estimates, you'll have to go through all this again as THM10 desktop does not store in the same locations.

-Clint-
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

I did all of things suggested but I still get the same error. I did play with some things though. I changed my retract height in control nesting to 0 and got past the Z axis error, I started gettting macro errors after that so I put my retract height back in. Im going to update the software but I have alot of jobs at the machine that still needs cut before updating.

Troy
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Troy,

For the time being, you can verify the tool number that is being called just before that index motion has a daylight value. That should have come along with the toolman file from the machine. In the case of the macros, most likely you can copy from the machien and put them in the desktop edition in the location, the C drive, and in the macros folder.

Realistically, I would try to run the THMsync again, and make sure you have the latest Control Nesting settings and tooling information from the machine using the Save Settings/Tooling and Load Settings/Tooling function. That should get you what you need.

-Clint-
Troy Hollinshead

I can run the thmsync again, but its been ran numerous times over the years and still cant graph. The tooling is right we cut these parts i just cant graph them from the desktop software. im gonna try to get the macros copied over.

Troy
Troy Hollinshead

Clint,

Still a no go. Here is a screenshot of the error I get when I comment out the offending line of code or change retract height in control nesting to 0.
Commented out retract.png
Troy