Where is my table, in relation to Z0 home? CS-45

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Richard White
Company Name: TaylorMade Systems

Where is my table, in relation to Z0 home? CS-45

Post by Richard White »

Ok, so we bought this CS-45. As mentioned in a previous post we will probably never use the vacuum table part of the machine, so we bought a 3/4 inch thick aluminum plate and placed it on the table.
I placed 16 standoffs, trying to cover as much of the plate as possible, bolted thru the standoffs to hold the plate in place. The standoffs were all ground the same height.
I then indicated the table and found I was good on one side with almost no run-out, but the further I got from the home position, the worse the run-out got.
I then installed a nice fly cutter and decked the entire surface down flat. Now I am not more than .002 over the entire table. This is good.

Now my situation, If I tell the machine to cut, or surface a part 1.300 inches off the table surface I machined, it actually machines it to 1.4185
I assumed that I would only need to enter -.1185 in the fixture offset table and it would then be all hunky dory... Ummm no it did not work that way. I was reading a post in here the the daylight calculation could be an issue, as it would automatically negate the Z offset in the Fixture Offset table.

This will rear its ugly head every part we run from here to eternity, so is there a way to make this issue disappear so that I do not have to manually adjust for this every single program?

I believe this is because of the original table height versus what we now have are not the same.

Thanks for the help.

Richard
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Where is my table, in relation to Z0 home? CS-45

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Richard,

Most likely you are correct in the table heights being different. Before I can offer advice on getting it set up properly, can you post one of your programs you are attempting to run or email it to program@thermwood.com? Also, does this machine have a tool sensor on it for measuring daylight of tools? Or are you using gauge blocks or some other way to set tool distance out of collet?

-Clint-
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

For the curious minds, Richard is up and going. He worked through resetting switchspoil relative to the new aluminum table. He is also on a tipping point of THM software where the M999 macro was being used and called in the background so a couple variables had to be adjusted as well.

-Clint-
Richard White
Company Name: TaylorMade Systems

Post by Richard White »

Sorry, worked late Friday getting a job thru the machine and was not able to post the results of efforts to help out.

Thanks be to Clint, it worked magnificently... onward and upward.

Richard