Cutlist programs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Cutlist programs

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Do you guys use any free or cheap cut list programs? I have used this online one called cutlist optimizer that works pretty well for drawer box parts. I export the parts list from ecabs to excel and save it as a csv which I can then import to the optimizer. This way I can get the drawers to nest in each height needed IE: 4", 6", 8", 10", 12". The program outputs the list of cuts for each stick of dwr side material.

Anyone have an easier or better way?

Forrest
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Re: Cutlist programs

Post by Stuart Douglas »

This can be done in MS Access. It's bundled with the MS office stuff, typically, which means you might already have it. That said, If you've never worked with a database in Access, the learning curve feels steep. I have a family member who literally uses it for his 9-5, and he did most of the dirty work with me years ago to set up a cut sheet for the doors and fronts, and for user parts that are more efficient for someone else to cut on the saw.

It isn't perfect, but it gets the job done. It prompts for job label, edge-banding thickness (since we typically don't change the banding in eCabS), and gives me a sheet count for out layed-up material. You can command it to sort the list by any of, or combination of, variables. Super handy, although I will admit - I'm lost if I have to change it myself. I don't use Access enough to learn it, and I'm on good terms with this family member so he is willing to muck through it now and again 8) :D
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Since it sounds like you're either purchasing or pre-ripping strips at 4, 6, 8" etc., why not enter them as sheet stock into ecabs? 4" x 96", 6" x 96", etc.

Years ago before we got the CNC, we did that for cabinet and drawer box parts, because we would pre-rip the 4x8 sheets into various strip widths for drawers, cabinet ends, toekicks, etc. We then had all those different widths as distinct materials in ecabs. Then we would print the "nest" diagrams, which just showed each strip with whatever parts would fit on it. Crosscut them on a radial arm saw. Good fun, I don't miss it a bit. But it sounds like that's basically what you need for what you are describing?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Forrest,
If you are needing a cut list for your sawyer, I would pull the drawer box parts from the eCabinets sheet component listing in excel, clean it up and sort it. You could record a macro to automize it a bit and go from this:
ecab cutlist.jpg
to this:
drawer box cutlist.jpg
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Thanks Guys,

So I'm currently doing as Kerry describes and then loading that file into an online optimizer that I went ahead and paid for. I can sort and save the xls file as a csv and import it to the cutlist and it will nest each width material into cut sheets. I print those out for the panel saw. I still nest the bottoms on the machine.

This works fairly well but I was curious if it could be done in excel or access.

Jeremy's method requires placing each drawer in said material unique to its height and as far as I can tell doesn't allow for swapping them in globally so that's why I haven't really considered it.

Forrest