Plunging too hard?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Bill OConnell

Plunging too hard?

Post by Bill OConnell »

We are using 1/2\" backs on our cabinets with a full dado and with a small fit tolerance (.012) the router was choosing a 1/4\" bit and make two passes and leave a small sliver of material in the middle of the dado slot. This required our assembly to sand it out. By removing the fit tolerance, the router selected a 1/2\" bit which was fine. However it appears that this bit is plunging first and then moving laterally second and I am concerned that it is putting too much upward force on the router. The smaller bits look like they gradually plunge and the move laterally. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am running Rolling Nest v4.84
Woodworking the Way You Want It
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Bill,

The small sliver remaining from the 1/4\" bit can be caused by wear on the tool. I suspect if you measure your 1/4\" tool it's something less than 1/4.\" If you change the tool diameter in tool set-up to match the actual diameter of your tool, this problem should go away. (but RN may no longer select the tool because it's too small to cut the dado correctly.)

There are a couple of setting you should check in rolling nest.
1. pre-ramp dado plunge depth - determines how deep the tool plunges before ramping
2. Ramp in length. (if set to 0, you will get no ramping)

Even after both confirming both of those settings, I think you'll still see this problem because RN appears to randomly select the edge of the dado on which to ramp in. (usually the Y axis)

If the length of your dado is running along Y, RN starts at the center of the dado and ramps in over half of it's width (ignoring the ramp in length setting.

If the length of the dado is running along X, the ramp in is only across the width of the dado and looks like a plunge.

I've been meaning to point this problem (bug?) out and your post finally prompted me to put it out there.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Bill OConnell

Post by Bill OConnell »

Dave,

Thanks for your, as usual, helpful feedback. I started watching more closely how the smaller bits handled dados and it does appear to me that a dado along the X axis plunges where along the Y axis it ramps.

I will double check my Rolling Nest settings for your suggestions.

Bill
Woodworking the Way You Want It