Special mouldings needed.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul K Waite

Special mouldings needed.

Post by Paul K Waite »

This is the first opportunity I've had to test the eCabinet Systems cooperative. I am going to be building two angle shelf units to match an existing television armoire. The top and bottom have unique mouldings that I need made. So I need to link up with someone who is willing to put one of their Thermwood routers to work for me.

The species is brazilwood/para wood. I need only 8' each of the top and bottom mouldings. I am attaching a JPG of the top moulding to give you an idea.

Since I've never worked through this process I would need a little instruction as to what you would need but I assume it is the two tools that I made in the Shape Manager.

Thanks, in advance, for any help/direction.
Attachments
Gooldy Trim.jpg
Gooldy Trim.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 12580 times
Paul K. Waite
3306 Amberley Park Circle
Kissimmee, FL 34743
Cell: 407-733-8018
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

The profile you created will require the promised modeling feature to cut on a router. Alas, it is still promised, and not yet delivered.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Paul,
We own a router but we would suggest that we would be better served to supply your request using our custom molders. We have no problem producing this shape and I believe we have a local source for the wood. (I have not checked their inventory yet)

We could fabricate this for you and so you know, we would charge you for a new knife set which you would own but in our inventory, a set up on the machine and then th emoulding time.

If you would like more information on possibly getting together on this, email me at swpinc2@msn.com or call me at 765-987-8156. I'd rather not post pricing and such all over the web!

Rob
Paul K Waite

Post by Paul K Waite »

So far I would say that eCabinet Systems has not passed the test. One gentleman says it cannot be done, another offers to make this short run of trim in the traditional method of having unique molder knives made.

The Learning Guide states: \"Unique molding shapes can be modeled on a Thermwood CNC router without special tooling using standard modeling tools.\"

So, can it, or can it not be done. If not, how long before this aspect of the program will be available?

Paul
Paul K. Waite
Kissimmee, FL 34743
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Paul,

We had the software ready to cut moldings on the machine however we had some problems with curved moldings. We are working extremly hard on this application using outside help as well and will have a product asap. Sorry for the inconvience.
Paul K Waite

Post by Paul K Waite »

Thank you, Jason.

For the eyes of everyone who is following this thread. Once again, the staff at eCabinet Systems has impressed me. While I am disappointed that the trim that I need cannot be done at this moment, they are working to impliment this feature (although expected to be part of version 4.0 will be part of 4.1). Behind the scene, away from this forum, I have been contacted and have sent the files associated with the trim I need to them and they are looking into it.

Though the present stage of eCabinet Systems has failed the test, it has passed a much more significant one: customer service coupled with real-world developement.

Thanks again Jason and company . . . but I sure hope I can get that trim made soon!
Paul K. Waite
Kissimmee, FL 34743