CNC error code idea

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

CNC error code idea

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey hows it all going?

When i do a big nest (over 40 sheets and over 4000 lines of code) and an error comes up when i write the code i have to go though all the lines of code to find out whats wrong. My idea is can it (when the error comes up when writing the code) can it tell the user on what line the frist error comes up so we can go stright to that line of code and find out what the error is. Thus saving time and being able to fix the problem stright away.

Thanks

Thom Davies
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Thom
this is easier than you think, just call up the text file using notepad, do an Edit/Find/\"error. and you can quickly edit out all the line errors that way. Save file. Run CNC
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Nick

Thanks for that. It still would be easier for me and save time if RN could tell what line the error came up so i can get it fixed stright away. Because its still time spent scrolling though the code trying to find out what the problem is.

Thanks

Thom Davies
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

F8 F4 \"Error\" Enter.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

RE: CNC Error Code Idea

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Nick and David,

Both of your suggests are workable, but...

I tend to agree with Thom about the \"pita\" it is to have to go searching for the error line so that you can determine what the error is!

I assume (and maybe wrongly) that Control Nesting (aka Rolling Nest) knows what the error is when it pops up the message box, so.. why not display the Cabinet Number, Part Name, Tool Diameter and/or Operation that cannot be matched, etc.. It's processing this part/operation and writing this kind of stuff (or some of it) out to the CNC code on the error line anyhow, no?

Better yet... have the error or errors (if there are multiple ones) and the related info that I mentioned above, written to a listbox on the screen with the option to print them out on the printer! (An error report - nothing fancy) AND since the CNC code has errors in it anyway - don't even generate it. (No need to since the proposed listbox/printed report has all the info needed to fix the issue(s)! An we don't want anyone accidentally running this erroneous code, do we?)

Just my 2... errrr 15 cents worth. <smile>
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Jolly good thinking Brad, this along with some other basic additions would be most welcome. Whilst we are discussing Rolling nest what does the new DXF layer LWpolyline do, and what is the syntax?
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Brad,
I like the detailed error reporting idea, but I still want the g-code with errors to be generated. Here's my vote.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

We will work on generating a detailed result for the no tooling available error.

The LWPolyine feature is NOT a layer name option. It simply means that Control Nesting now supports this type of DXF entity. In the past the DXF Import utility had problem with this. LWPolylines are a form of Polyline that CAD systems use in DXF to minimize data size. It stands for Lightweight Polyline.