Printing suggestion

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Printing suggestion

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey guys,
Just wondeiring if there is a way that you could allow us to print a selection of sheets. There is currently the option for print all sheets or print selection. The reason i ask this is because yesterday our printer had a bit of a jamb and thought it had printed all of the sheets but it only printed some of them so when we went to complete the printing we had to print selection which is only one page at a time.
Thanks,
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Paul

I have had this happen when printing a batch of lables and I then just put print from lable NO.x to lable NO. y in the printer options and print the balance of the job that way, sould not be a problem with most printers
CameronEchols

Post by CameronEchols »

I wish you could set the label printer to print the labels for the sheets as you cut them instead of printing them all up front.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Cameron

I second your idea of that. It would save so much time if RN printed the labels for that sheet as it's cutting. I run sometimes 40+ sheets in a nest and the time it takes to get all the labels rolled up and get the sheets in order can take sometimes over an hour! My Bosses are asking me how i can cut down on prepation time before i run a big nest but i cant think of any until now. Your idea would save over an hour of prep time! Thermwood can this be done? As i said it would save me and everybody else lots of time and money.

Thanks

Thom Davies
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey Cameron,
Great idea! It would save alot of time and hassel.
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

For the labels why roll them up?
I use a plastic kitchen bin under the label slot so that all the labels fall into that. Make sure you hang the first few over the edge so you can get to it. Then as the machine is cutting the sheets you just pull up what you need and tear it off at the end of the sheet.
Hang the start of the next sheet over the rim and away you go.

For the sheets I send them over the network to our laser printer in the office so that I can double side print the sheets to save paper. Well I should say that the operator does this. When it prints out it's next to my desk so I reload the sheets into the printer so that they are ready for the operator to come get them.

I do agree that selecting indivinual sheets to nest would be a great option.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey Glen,
I like the bin idea! We usually just let ours sit on the floor and tear them off as we need them.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

But my labels sometimes tangle up and that sometimes leads to some of the labels pealing off the roll and becoming useless cos they get dust on them before i have gotton to that sheet.

Thanks

Thom Davies
Josh Meyer

Post by Josh Meyer »

We are going to be working on implementing features to offer the operator more flexibilty in what labels/sheets are printed and when. You will have many more options rather than printing all the labels and sheets for the entire job up front. In the mean time you will have to print the entire job but the cnc program can be started before the printing is done. As soon as you print the sheest and labels and write the cnc code for that job you can load your material and begin running the job while the printers continue to work. Thank you for all your suggestions and rest assured they don't go unnoticed.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Thom

I seem to remember someone posting a design file for a \"label-roller-upper\" sometime back. I don't know whether that would help keep your labels from getting tangled or not.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

You can print the lables required for the sheet being cut, you can tell how many parts there are on the sheet lay out and then you just select print from number such and such to so and so as required. When you are finished cutting that shet you go back into the nest and print the next batch from then on
CameronEchols

Post by CameronEchols »

the problem with that is my small jobs are 30 sheets most are over 50 and it would take a lot of time to keep going back and printing stickers and to keep track of the numbers for each sheet.
Sebastien Boileau

Post by Sebastien Boileau »

Dan-Epps... the famous \"label-roller-upper\" you speak of was my idea...i posted this a while back, might help some of you guys, it's so simple to make and saves so much time...i'll repost the original post.