Speeding Up Sheet Times

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Speeding Up Sheet Times

Post by Thom Davies »

Hows it going?

Im about to start a 1000 + Sheet job and want to speed up certain areas of the cutting process. Mostly the drill bank, I would like to know what the max plunge speed is and how i can speed it up darting around the sheet.

At the moment the drill bank is set to about 5000 plunge speed. what is its max and whats best so i dont brake the drill bits! lol

Also the max speed the table can go, I got alot of 4mm backing board to cut and was thinking i could set it to near its max to cut it out. My Thermwood is a CS40 And serial number is CS400571204
Im going to be using a 10 compression cutter to cut the 4mm out and prob running it at about its max rpm 24000.

Any one and every one please advise me! What speeds do u run at?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Thom Davies
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Speeding Up Sheet Times

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thom,

One of the first things you will want to check when wanting to speed things up a bit, would be to make sure you turn off the M48 command that is sometimes in header of the part program. This feature allows control over rapid motions (G00). If you turn it off for long production runs, your rapids will be at their peak performance. M49 is the code to turn this feature OFF.

The MAX feed speeds for the machine number you've listed are as follows:

AXIS 1 = 1200 IPM
AXIS 2 = 1200 IPM
AXIS 3 = 1000 IPM
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Ryan

Where do i go to turn off the M48 command and put in M49?

Cant i just up the feed speeds to go to say 1195IPM instead of putting in the M49?

Also are you saying i can have the drill bank @ 25000 plunge? If so that would b wicked!
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

In regards to your questions:

Question:
Where do i go to turn off the M48 command and put in M49?

Response:
You simply write it directly after the M48 command in the header. Or you can comment out the M48 by putting a "%" in front and NC RESETing machine prior to running program.

Question:
Cant i just up the feed speeds to go to say 1195IPM instead of putting in the M49?

Response:
It is the retract and index moves that you gain considerable speed on when disabling the rapid over ride feature (M48) do to the fact the accelerations are eliminated for the start and stop of the G00 command.

Question:
Also are you saying i can have the drill bank @ 25000 plunge? If so that would b wicked!

Response:
You certainly can plunge at 25000 mm/m .... but that would be a be hard on tooling....
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Ryan

Im not to sure where to find the Header box to type in the M48 and M49 commands, Could you please give me some detail where to find it and what to do?

Maybe email me sum pics where to find it?

Thanks again!

Thom Davies

thermwood@dawngroup.co.nz
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Thom,
You can do a quick search of the actual cnc code for "M48". If it does not find a "M48" then it is not active and the rapids will move at full speed with full accelerations. If a search of the code does find an "M48", then just comment it out using a percent symbol at the beginning of that line.
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Daniel

Ive had a look though code and cant find a M48, But i also dont belive the therm is moving around as fast as it could be, yes it is 5 years old, but wot i see on youtube with therms darting around the sheet is what i want! lol

I'll send some codes Via email.

Thanks again

Thom Davies
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Thom,

I looked at the files you sent in and there is no M48 so your rapid moves are moving at the machines maximum speed and accelerations. At this point, there is no code that you can add to make your machine run faster during rapid moves.