Custom Drawer Box Sizes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Aaron Roberts
Company Name: Kensington Cabinets

Custom Drawer Box Sizes

Post by Aaron Roberts »

Hello,
I'm new to eCabinets and am learning the ropes. I've had a couple jobs come my way where the customer just wants drawer boxes built to their specifications. Is there an easy way of doing this? So far I've had to make a cabinet and attempt to fit the drawer box inside to get it to size. There has to be a smarter way.

Thanks,
Aaron
Kensington Cabinets Ltd.
Sechelt, BC, Canada
http://kensingtoncabinets.com/
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Custom Drawer Box Sizes

Post by Rick Deskins »

You can add them in as Display Drawer Boxes. Look for the Drawer Boxes Tab in the Item Window.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Custom Drawer Box Sizes

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Aaron,

There is another way that I have taught many users how to do that works very well for batching drawer boxes. The short of it is to create a cabinet that only consists of a drawer box. The steps to create it may seem a bit odd, but are actually very simple. Here's how to do it:

Of course, before you get started with these steps, create and save a drawer box to the specifications you want/need.

1.) In the Cabinet/Assembly Editor, load the Std Upper Frameless cabinet from the Standard Cabinets directory.
2.) Change the size of the cabinet to a default size you would like for the drawer box (such as: W16" H6" D22" ).
3.) Left-Click on the Top, Deck, Left End, and Right End to highlight them in the green hatched pattern (do not highlight the back!) then select the Delete key on the keyboard or the Delete icon from the tool bar. (this will remove all cab parts except the back)
4.) Next, go to the Drawer Box Editor, select the opening and click on Add Drawer Box (if you do not have a box selected, it will ask you to select one at this point). Select the box you want and then set it default.
5.) When the Add Drawer Box(es) dialog comes up, add it in without setting any insets or Min Increment values (this is important).
6.) Return to main screen.
7.) Now, Left-Click on the cabinet Back (not the drawer box back) to highlight it in the green hatch pattern, then select Delete.
8.) Now you have a cabinet that is nothing but a drawer box and can be sized to what ever you need. Save it (naming it something relative to the Dbx that is used in it) and you can batch it in any size you need.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000