Door Issues again

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nicholas Kiss
Company Name: Clearcut

Door Issues again

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Working on a door that is Raised panel but has an issue after all is done and profiled correctly if you add a handle you get one issue that looks a little different but if u go to part editor on that completed raised panel door then it shrinks to the size of a drawer face of it's own accord

all information for the job will be added as a link
Attachments
Classica interior.tol
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Classica exterior.tol
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Glitched Cab for Testing.esj
(10.15 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
Nicholas Kiss

Re: Door Issues again

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

I think it's important to note as well that it was profiled by adding each line by contour lines in the part editor on a slab door then profiling a chain profile for all interior except for the lines that are seperating each false drawer those are single lines
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Special fake drawers for Peter Tommy lee jones.zip
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

This the x_t file i use to add the lines to the door
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Nicholas. Try constraining the geometry.
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Scott Marshburn wrote: Sat, Dec 09 2023, 8:21PM Hi Nicholas. Try constraining the geometry.
there is no Geometry, just profiled lines, unless I'm misunderstanding, thanks
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

You can constrain the profile cuts the same way that you constrain geometry
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Nicholas.
Definitely do as Scott Mashburn has suggested.
You can create doors in the door designer and save them with the constraints for use on multiple cabinets,
or edit individual slab doors from the cabinet / assembly editor and save that unit as a one of design.
I looked at the (problem has not occurred unit) and as Scott indicated there are no constraints.
Once a cabinet starts glitching, there is generally no rerun, so just bury it and start again.

Not trying to teach you stuff you already know.
But just some things I have slowly learned that may be useful.

Use formulas for doors like that with multi panels. the formula H/2+30 or w/2-30 for example is very useful.
Constrain internal patterns from those points so they float with the resizing.
Try not to over constrain, over constraining mightn't show up until you want to resize a unit. (Cabinet locks can help with this.)
Multiplication and division are performed first so put them in brackets or at the beginning of the formula.
Resizing the text can cut down on Zooming and homing on large panels.
If you cant select a point to apply a constraint, Hold down the ctrl key and drag out are square to zoom in. You can do this after selecting the first point.
Constraint manager Global Variables [X] button at the top of the CM is really useful for doors like the one you have designed there. If you want to change , perhaps the style width for example.
Change that variable and they all change.
Thats a few of the top of my head.

I have been using eCabs from 2005 and had a machine for about 5 years now.
I am a bit of a slow learner, (not dumb, just slow) but I can honestly say there is a ton of stuff I don't fully grasp. Its a big program and alot to learn.
So I think you are doing really well.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.
There are still gremlins in system so its not entirely guaranteed that will solve everything.
:)
Attachments
Nic1.jpg
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Scott Marshburn wrote: Tue, Dec 12 2023, 10:22PM You can constrain the profile cuts the same way that you constrain geometry
Thanks Scott and Mark! very helpful yes I didn't even check to see if profiles could be constrained, very funny it was actually such a simple solution, thanks guys!
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Mark McCallum wrote: Wed, Dec 13 2023, 6:20PM Hi Nicholas.
Definitely do as Scott Mashburn has suggested.
You can create doors in the door designer and save them with the constraints for use on multiple cabinets,
or edit individual slab doors from the cabinet / assembly editor and save that unit as a one of design.
I looked at the (problem has not occurred unit) and as Scott indicated there are no constraints.
Once a cabinet starts glitching, there is generally no rerun, so just bury it and start again.

Not trying to teach you stuff you already know.
But just some things I have slowly learned that may be useful.

Use formulas for doors like that with multi panels. the formula H/2+30 or w/2-30 for example is very useful.
Constrain internal patterns from those points so they float with the resizing.
Try not to over constrain, over constraining mightn't show up until you want to resize a unit. (Cabinet locks can help with this.)
Multiplication and division are performed first so put them in brackets or at the beginning of the formula.
Resizing the text can cut down on Zooming and homing on large panels.
If you cant select a point to apply a constraint, Hold down the ctrl key and drag out are square to zoom in. You can do this after selecting the first point.
Constraint manager Global Variables [X] button at the top of the CM is really useful for doors like the one you have designed there. If you want to change , perhaps the style width for example.
Change that variable and they all change.
Thats a few of the top of my head.

I have been using eCabs from 2005 and had a machine for about 5 years now.
I am a bit of a slow learner, (not dumb, just slow) but I can honestly say there is a ton of stuff I don't fully grasp. Its a big program and alot to learn.
So I think you are doing really well.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.
There are still gremlins in system so its not entirely guaranteed that will solve everything.
:)

Oh boy, that still didn't fix my problem, did you try this on your computer? maybe I'm not grouping it properly?

But also It could be a problem with the Dbx inside, I don't have this problem often but it always occurs when attempting to go to part editor or constraint manager and the physical door changes it's shape, any other ideas? or should i get in touch with a programmer for Ecabinets
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Nicholas
I haven't had time to try your system.

I'm not sure if you are trying to match wood grain and cutting the single door into drawers and door on a panel saw or sliding saw after machining? are you aware of the group door and drawers function?
Right click in the cabinet editor, group the pats and they nest and cut as a group, It could be a lot simpler than developing that door if they can be put on individually.
Just a thought. :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-23 013904.png
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Nicholas.
So I had a look at your door.
And started a new door from scratch in the door designer.
First I was having problems with constraining the pattern the way you had drawn it because the points were on top of one another.
So I played around with the method a little bit putting in 2mm gaps because I thought those separation lines could be causing problems, by framing the internal patterns in boxes and constraining , I thought it could make the patterns float better.
You may be pleased to know.. You are not alone. :joker:

I seem to be having similar problems.

Door from door designer
nicholas1.jpg
nicholas1.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
nicholas1.hsf
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
Result when added to cabinet.
Screenshot 2023-12-28 225802.png
Screenshot 2023-12-28 225802.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Mark McCallum wrote: Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:48AM Hi Nicholas
I haven't had time to try your system.

I'm not sure if you are trying to match wood grain and cutting the single door into drawers and door on a panel saw or sliding saw after machining? are you aware of the group door and drawers function?
Right click in the cabinet editor, group the pats and they nest and cut as a group, It could be a lot simpler than developing that door if they can be put on individually.
Just a thought. :)
yes this would be a single Mdf large door made to look like 3 drawers on the bottom and a top door, all out of one piece. I was not aware of the group cabinet parts function thanks for bringing that to my attention, is there a guide for this or should i just mess around until I understand it (kinda like how i've learned the whole program in the first place)
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Mark McCallum wrote: Thu, Dec 28 2023, 7:34AM Hi Nicholas.
So I had a look at your door.
And started a new door from scratch in the door designer.
First I was having problems with constraining the pattern the way you had drawn it because the points were on top of one another.
So I played around with the method a little bit putting in 2mm gaps because I thought those separation lines could be causing problems, by framing the internal patterns in boxes and constraining , I thought it could make the patterns float better.
You may be pleased to know.. You are not alone. :joker:

I seem to be having similar problems.

Door from door designer
nicholas1.jpg
nicholas1.hsf

Result when added to cabinet.
Screenshot 2023-12-28 225802.png
While that eases my mind from trying to find a solution I am not pleased with this information :lol: maybe a programmer can look at this and see if there's some way to fix this, otherwise it seems to work and cut just not resize or reoptimize, this will work for now, thanks Mark
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

yes this would be a single Mdf large door made to look like 3 drawers on the bottom and a top door, all out of one piece. I was not aware of the group cabinet parts function thanks for bringing that to my attention, is there a guide for this or should i just mess around until I understand it (kinda like how i've learned the whole program in the first place)
Try Clicking on the red question mark for help in the top bar.
Then try typing "Group grain parts" into the search bar.
That should bring up some information.

I think messing around is how most of us learn.
I can read through help menus, but until I "need" to do something it doesn't really stick.
The forum used to be a more active so you would pick a lot up on what other users were posting about and what methods they were using and learn from that.

Nowhere that I can find in the help menus or the online training videos does there seem to be any strong direction saying this is the best and most efficient way to do something. The help is more about telling you, this function does this, this function does that, and you have to work out your own method for implementing it.

Having said that, if there is one thing I have learned over the years, you can give the same job to 50 different cabinetmakers or joiners and you will get back 70 different ways on how to do it. (i don't know why, maybe it has to do with sawdust brain :joker: :D )

If you have time Scott Marshburn has a link to his YouTube Chanel that is full of good ways to do things in his signature.
Nicholas Kiss

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Oh boy, the file that looked good I sent to the machine but it seems there was a bug, any solutions? The profile just crossed into the other door and gave an error x axis out of bounds
Attachments
28220310-7C15-4B2D-B145-8403770046F0.jpeg