Glass shelves

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Barelmann

Glass shelves

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Is there a way to show glass shelves in a cabinet? I did a search and found a reference that glass sheet would be able to be defined in a later version. Is this available yet?

Thanks, Mark
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

I don't believe it's available yet, so you would need to make your own using the Display Part Editor and place them in the cabinet.

Here's a sample that you can manipulate if need be.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You can set your sheet stock to the appropriate thickness and then associate the glass image to it.
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Thanks. It would be really cool if you could see through it like the glass doors, but this will work fine.

Mark
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

Mark Barelmann wrote:Thanks. It would be really cool if you could see through it like the glass doors, but this will work fine.

Mark
Open the file in the Display Part Editor and play with the settings if you'd like it to be transparent.
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Walter Frost

Glass Shelves

Post by Walter Frost »

Mark,
Kerry posted a method some time ago that I used to create glass shelves. It is not very complicated and once you go thru the process it is easy to re-create. Here is the procedure and I will include a display cab I designed using it. This also has a front glass panell in addition to the shelves so that you can \"see\" they are really glass.
Open eCabinets/ then open the \"Display Parts Editor\"/
Click on Load STL HSF/
Go to the folder C:\\eCabinets\\sampl_stls\\ and open \"Sample_Glass1\" in the editor/
Check the \"Transmission On\" box/
Check the \"Gouraud\" Box/
I used the values of 170 red, 200 green, 170 blue,
You can play with the color, Gloss, Specular, and mirror to get the \"look\" that you want./
Click save and save this as glass in a directory you can find later/
Completely exit eCabinets (as per that pop up warning when you entered the display part editor.

Open eCabinets, go to \"Edit\", and click on \"Settings/Preferences\" and create a stock sheet good called Glass. Mine is 1/4\" thick. Give it any texture you like. it doesn't matter.

Open your cabinet in the \"Cabinet Editor\" and click on \"Add Display Part\"/
Click on \"Display Panel\"/
Enter the length and width that you want your shelves to be and click ok/
Highlight the shelf by double clicking it , then right click and choose \"Rotate object\"/
Rotate the object using the sliders then use \"Shift\" and the arrow keys to position the shelf in the cabinet./

Now click on \"Add Display Part\" and go to the directory you saved your \"Glass\" that you created to, and select it .
The glass will appear in the cabinet/
Double click your shelf to highlight it, then right click and choose \"Texture Match\" then click on the Glass.
Your shelf will now look like glass.
Double click the glass and delete it.
Highlight the shelf, click on \"Edit\" then \"Copy and Paste\" to make more shelves.
Highlight each shelf and position it in the cabinet.
Attachments
Glass Shelves Pic.jpg
Glass Shelves Pic.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 10469 times
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Thanks Walter. That worked great.

I didn't get any pop-up when I went to the Display Parts Editor, but I restarted anyway just to be safe. Maybe its fixed in the latest version?

I see you're in Lisbon/Sussex. I lived there up until about a year and a half ago. Now I'm in Germantown (although my user ID somehow says Milwaukee). Enjoy the cold weather!

Mark
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Mark Barelmann wrote:...although my user ID somehow says Milwaukee...
No it doesn't...it says Germantown. Just look at your last post :wink:
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Cool cheat. Tried it out and it worked great. Thanks for the tips. :)
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I didn't get any pop-up when I went to the Display Parts Editor, but I restarted anyway just to be safe. Maybe its fixed in the latest version?
That was an issue a couple of versions ago, it's no longer necessary to restart after going to the Display Part editor.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

The shelves work great, but they don't save with the cabinet? When I place it in a room they're gone, and they're gone when I re-open the cabinet file?? Any ideas?
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

If your using a display part you need to associate it to the cabinet then it will save with the cabinet, Double click on the cabinet single click on the shelf then right mouse click and selsct associate to cabinet. You can select more than one shelf at a time before right clicking and it will associate all of them at once.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Thanks Glenn. That worked. It's great to be able to get overnight help from down under.

Mark
Jack Duren

Post by Jack Duren »

\"Open your cabinet in the \"Cabinet Editor\" and click on \"Add Display Part\"/
Click on \"Display Panel\"/ \"

Ok I'm having a problem here. Where is the \"add display part\". Seems everybody wants glass in their cabinets, yet I cant put it there :? .

I load the cabinet scroll down to \"adjust cabinet features\" and then \"edit cabinet\" add then I'm lost. I've loaded the glass I made but cant texture the shelves in the cabinet. But can do it vice-versus....Jack
Mark Barelmann

Post by Mark Barelmann »

Jack,

Click on the Load Item icon (hand in a filer folder), then pick \"display panel\".

Mark