curved edge on a countertop

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Robert Armstrong

curved edge on a countertop

Post by Robert Armstrong »

hi .. this may have been covered already but I dont have time to read thru 78 pages or so of forum topics. here goes ... I want to create a curved eating bar .. that is the overhanging side is radiused along the length of the countertop ... is there a way to do this in the part editor? I have created a rectangular counter the right size and length but cant figure out how to radius the one side .... thanks Bob .. ps .. Im reading this forum and learning mass amounts .. sink placement is now a breeze ... oh yeah and I noticed that to use the 'move increment' on objects I have to hold the shift key down or the wall moves not the object .. is that just my puter?
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Robert,
Highlight your top and right click, take your top to the part editor and you can do with it what you want, takes some time to learn, but worth it.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: curved edge on a countertop

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Robert Armstrong wrote:hi .. this may have been covered already but I dont have time to read thru 78 pages or so of forum topics. here goes ... I want to create a curved eating bar .. that is the overhanging side is radiused along the length of the countertop ... is there a way to do this in the part editor? I have created a rectangular counter the right size and length but cant figure out how to radius the one side .... thanks Bob .. ps .. Im reading this forum and learning mass amounts .. sink placement is now a breeze ... oh yeah and I noticed that to use the 'move increment' on objects I have to hold the shift key down or the wall moves not the object .. is that just my puter?
Robert -- Here are a couple of pics to get you started but you really should do some of the training lessons to perform these properly. When in Part Editor you have to toggle between Contour mode and back. Then you can pick a 3 point arc and then connect a closed contour.
Attachments
CT11.jpg
CT11.jpg (67.69 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
CT12.jpg
CT12.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I do it a slightly different way. Bring the countertop into the parts editor, go to the contour mode, right click and choose create edges. Make a curve using the three point arc on the edge you need curved. Then using the erase command on 'single' erase the straight line that was over written by the arc. Then using the trim command in two line mode connect the corners of the arc and the adjacent lines. Go back to the parts editor and right click the mouse and choose 'make part using closed contour', click on the contour lines and hit next. It should make your part.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Robert Armstrong

Michael, Wally and Leo

thanks for your replies.. i have had the countertop in part editor .. I guess I just havent spent enough time there yet ... lessons are in the future .. as time permits ... i will make good use of this info .. gonna explore that line editor today too .. thanks again .. Bob
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re:

Leo Graywacz wrote:I do it a slightly different way. Bring the countertop into the parts editor, go to the contour mode, right click and choose create edges. Make a curve using the three point arc on the edge you need curved. Then using the erase command on 'single' erase the straight line that was over written by the arc. Then using the trim command in two line mode connect the corners of the arc and the adjacent lines. Go back to the parts editor and right click the mouse and choose 'make part using closed contour', click on the contour lines and hit next. It should make your part.
I tried it your way Leo and after about 8 tries and going to the learning guide to see how to properly trim lines I got it. There is always more than one way to do things and I guess it comes down to how you learn to do it first. I think my way goes back a couple of versions. I will try it your way from now on. Thanks.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I just comes down to laziness and the hate of absolute numbers. I found that create edges control and played with it for a while. It is great for making routing profiles inside circles and on the edges of boards if you only want to do two or three edges. With your way you have to define a box which makes you use 6 sets of absolute number pairs, with mine you just do two clicks and most of the work is done for you. I am self taught with the help of the people on this forum. Glad I could help you (and others) out with my techniques. Hope to learn something from you too.

Leo
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

That's the thing Leo.. when I did it the first time I just drew it with my mouse.. no numbers. That's how I learned to do it.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I can never get a straight line when I use the mouse. It's always off just a bit.
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re:

Post by Joe Soto »

Leo Graywacz wrote:I can never get a straight line when I use the mouse. It's always off just a bit.
Try to set your lines to ortho (f8) or set the angle (f6)
Joe
Robert Armstrong

Leo .. it worked thank you you so much .. an other hurdle crossed for me. Im still not sure how that ' trim ' part worked but by just removing the straight line and adding lines to make closed contour worked for me. Now im off to find me a new computer .. I have been working with a 1.2 amd .. with only 256 ram .. its way slow ... time for an upgrade .. this one doesnt even make the minimum requirements now .. lol.