How to Draw a Round Column?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Pat McFadden

How to Draw a Round Column?

Post by Pat McFadden »

I need a display object that is a cylindrical column, 3\" diameter by 60\" long. It needs to have a metallic finish, like a brushed or matte aluminum. Any suggestions on how to create one?

Thanks,
Pat
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Pretty simple once you know the trick.

You need to make a display cube. Make it 3 wide by 3 long by 60 deep. When you return to the editor you will see a 3 x 3 square, choose any texture, it doesn't matter what. Click on it to highlight it and bring it into the parts editor. Go to the contour mode and choose circle. use a center of 1.5,1.5 and a radius of 1.5. Go back to the parts editor using the door icon and right click on the mouse and choose 'create part using closed contour' click on the circle and then choose next. Choose return and answer yes to keep the changes. Now move your column around so you can see it. Now right click the mouse and choose 'load item', choose 'display objects' and pick out a steel sink. Return to the editor and highlight the column and right click with the mouse cursor on the column and choose 'match texture' now left click on the sink and your column should be stainless steel, delete the sink. There you have it. You should be able to take it into the parts editor and change the color and shininess and all that other stuff.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Leo'
Thanks for the quick lesson. I use the program a lot but I never tried to make columns. Didn't feel I had time to get involved with a lot of tool making, geometry etc.. Well I just followed your directions and now I have a nice shiny steel pole. It only took a couple of minutes. I have no idea what to do with it but now I can make one.

Thanks again.
Pat McFadden

Post by Pat McFadden »

Thanks, Leo.

Pat
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

If its for Display & Doesn't need to be machined on a router you could use a Closet rod (Display Objects) It can be rescaled and you can change the texture.
Rob