sharing offcuts between machines?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

sharing offcuts between machines?

Post by Mark Hesketh »

we just got our second machine and I was wondering if there is anyway to share the offcuts (or offalls) from one machine to another? In otherwords, can an offcut from one machine be scanned and loaded into the second machine?
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Mark,

You can simply copy the \"OffFalls.mdb\" file from C:\\Rolling Nest directory, from one machine to the other to enable same off fall to be used.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Not having a machine this is purely conjecture, but wouldn't that remove the off falls from the receiving machine?

I think what Mark wants to do is have off falls from either machine available to the other machine.
Ryan Hochgesang

With coping the file from one machine to the other as I've listed, you would need to copy .mdb file to opposing machine each time job is nested on one of the two. There is no way to have Control nesting look at an mdb file located on a network (shared location).

Hope this makes sense.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

so that would mean that I would have to backup the original .mdb file on the machine that i am copying to, or else i would lose the offcuts that were made on that machine. in other words, it replaces, it doesn't merge.

Any chance we could get the ability for machines to share a .mdb file across a network added to the wishlist?
Ryan Hochgesang

That's correct. File will be copied over, so be sure to backup original if needed.

As far as networking ability, I will submit your request to the Software engineering group here for their review.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member

Post by Mark Hesketh »

thanks Ryan
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

On the subject off falls...is there a way to quickly find the correct off fall in the off fall list. Each time I go to use an off fall we have to scan down a list of thousands of numbers to find the correct one. I know it has a bar code, so I assume if a scanner had been purchased you would simply have to scan the label. Can we simply enter the number on the keypad somewhere to get to the correct off fall?
Ryan Hochgesang

Hi Mark,

The bar code scanner is certainly the quickest method. The only other option is to manually scroll through list and look for the same number listed underneath the bar code on label.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Ryan...

Thanks for the response...I've wondered for a while if I was the only one scrolling, scrolling, scrolling....

What doesn't make sense to me though is, a bar code scanner simply enters the numbers via the scan once you get to the \"search\" field. Same as swiping a credit card for example - if it doesn't swipe the employee can still enter the number in the field manually. Why doesn't that work on the off fall - I don't understand how the scanner works without a \"search\" field and/or why we can't simply enter the associated number into that field manually (?)

Mark
Ryan Hochgesang

Hey Mark,

We're working on having an Entry Box which will allow manually typing in off-fall #. We're also changing the list area so that it can be sorted.

Thanks for your patience.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Thanks Ryan...that would be great!

Another item that would be incredibly helpful if possible, would be a way to tag the numbers (off falls) you want to keep and then delete all the rest. We usually only have a dozen or so pieces that are worth hanging onto at any given time, but trying to sort through to delete the list of off falls we don't need is kind of daunting...

appreciate your help!

Mark
Ryan Hochgesang

I will certainly get this request to our Engineering dept. for them to consider. Thanks for the input!
Ryan Hochgesang

Mark,

Not sure if your aware, but you can currently select mulple off-falls that you want to keep, then select button to delete unselected or visa versa.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Hey Ryan...

Yes I was aware of the multiple selection...it's just that the list is so large that scrolling through takes forever.

It would certainly be simpler if we had an input box and could simply type in the selected pieces, then delete the rest.

Mark