Drawer Boxes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Robert Glenn

Drawer Boxes

Post by Robert Glenn »

All,

We have been building cases on our CNC for other shops and have been getting requests for drawer boxes. Until now I have been saying No mostly out of fear of the unkonown. I would be interested in hearing about members experiences with drawer boxes in ecab cut on a CNC.

Thanks

Rob
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I was also hesitant to get into the dovetail boxes and didn't have time to experiment. Recently, I had success cutting a small batch of drawer boxes from 1/2\" ApplePly. I need to get them a little tighter but am very happy with the way they turned out.
Attachments
100_0777.JPG
100_0777.JPG (500.21 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
100_0780.JPG
100_0780.JPG (598.31 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
100_0781.JPG
100_0781.JPG (726.28 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Robert,
cut the first couple dozen for your own use and experience then dont look back. I have mine tuned in and have cut a couple thousand, very few problems.I tell you one thing I do that might seem strange to some, but I take off the dust shroud and turn off the dust collection. does not seem to affect the cut and I have not had a part move on me for a long time. I use 5/8 baltic birch or every so seldom solid maple.
Dont be skeeeeered.....
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I didn't know you could notch and drill the backs for the under mount slides. I thought that was a missing feature. Did you actually do that on the machine?

Joe
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Joe,

If you do this on the machine you will have to as a secondary.

Forrest
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

Guys,

Very sound advice, thank you. This gives me confidence to work towards providing this service to my customers. I agree, get it right first then offer it to others.

Thanks

Rob
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I guess the notches and holes will be in Version 6 (hopefully) with other drawer box part editing.

Rob,

You might also look into making bamboo drawer boxes. I would suggest that you use the vertical solid variety. I saw that Western Dovetail and DBS are now offering these as well. I don't know what their prices are like for these to get an idea if it would be cost effective for you. This also gives you a \"green\" product offering. You can get the PlyBoo material in San Marcos for around $180 / sheet. I talked to a guy at AWFS who said he sold bamboo plywood for around $140/sheet. The vertical solid bamboo looks like solid wood and requires no edgebanding. Personally I think dovetails on regular plywood looks cheesy.

Joe
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

The notches and holes were done by hand. I would like to try the PlyBoo. In 'Vegas, I saw some at the Hardwoods Booth. I also liked the Totally Bamboo countertops and backsplashes. They aren't cheap but different and \"green\".
Robert Glenn

Post by Robert Glenn »

Joe,

Sounds like a good idea. I plan on trying it out on some good old cheap dimensionslly stable MDF before I move on to more expensive stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rob