Adding drawer front adjusters

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Adding drawer front adjusters

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hey folks - I'm setting up my drawer fronts with Blum adjusters, which require a 20mm hole 10mm deep. Thus far I've been using part editor to drill the holes, then constraint manager to fix them in place. Only problem, of course is if the client does something like change the angle of the grain from vertical to horizontal, I have to regenerate the drawers, which deletes the holes. Is there an easier way to make the holes - like a hole pattern linked to some hardware I can apply to the drawers? Or something?

Before you say it, I tried just clicking on the drawer in drawer/door editor and using construction settings to change the angle. It completely ignores me.

Thanks - Jason
Applebox Cabinetry and Furniture
www.appleboxwood.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: Adding drawer front adjusters

Post by Nick M Singer »

This is an old issue and is one of those illogical quirks of eCabs. You can specify a hole pattern for hinge plates on a case side and the holes in the door, but with drawers you can only create holes in the case side for the runners. Hopefully one day they will get around to allowing the holes in the drawer front, maybe in V6!!!!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

You must take your cabinet into the Door/Drawer editor then highlight the door or drawer you want to change, open construction settings in that editor and change the slab grain direction and click OK.
This will let you change the grain direction.

Kerry
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Kerry - you're half-right - if the grain is horizontal and I want to change it to vertical, that method will work. However, to go from vertical to horizontal grain, doesn't work. It ignores the change.

And how's this for fun - doors are opposite. I can change them to horizontal, but not from horizontal to vertical.

This sounds like a bug to me, I spose I'll send it on to the higher ups. Also, generally I think the construction settings dialogue for door/drawer editor is pretty clunky - anytime you set the angle to 90 degrees, it should stay that way, but it always resets it to zero in the editor. And it seems like there should be a separate angle selector for doors and drawers.

Blah blah blah - thanks guys.

Jason
www.appleboxwood.com
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

While I've got you guys - I've always been confused by the door reveal settings, specifically as it applies to double doors. I have seed cabinets, and occasionally I want to highlight the double doors and alter their reveals. However, it only gives the option of "hinge side" and "open side", which makes no sense. Do you know how they apply reveals in double door situations?

I know, one option is to delete and regenerate, but sometimes I have a part editor cut and don't want to go through all that.

Thanks much - Jason
www.appleboxwood.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Jason,

I don't have that problem. I can rotate grain on doors any way I want. Post your cabinet, it may be a problem with it.
grain.jpg
grain.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Kerry
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Kerry - I think I just got it. And it's still irritating, but maybe this was spelled out somewhere and I just missed it. Apparently zero degrees is different for doors and drawers: for doors, zero degree setting is vertical grain. For drawers it's horizontal grain. And I was assuming that changing the angle was actually rotating the grain - meaning, if the grain for a drawer is currently vertical (90 degrees), and I change the angle to 90 degrees, that it would rotate to a total 180 degrees and become horizontal. Now I understand that the angle is actually fixed - 90 degrees is always vertical for drawer fronts and horzontal for doors.

I think it's bugging me because it's inconsistent throughout the software - when you rotate something in the other editors, or in custom layout, it's a cumulative rotation, whereas this is more of an absolute. If that makes any sense.

My head hurts.

Thanks for your help - Jason
www.appleboxwood.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Jason,

On your double doors, you can change settings for one door at a time. You highlight the left door and it will have a hinge side and opening side that you adjust then you highlight the right door and adjust the opening and hinge side for that door or you can highlight both doors and adjust the settings for both.

Kerry
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Thanks Kerry, I'll give it a whirl.
www.appleboxwood.com
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Kerry - I think I got it, but it's a little silly. In a double door situation, "hinge side" seems to apply to the left side, while "open side" is the right side. This is when both doors are highlighted - I don't get consistent results when I try to change just one (the left side usually does what I want, but the right side is unpredictable).

Seems like they should just have "left side" and "right side" for simplicity. Don't worry I already submitted that to the feedback area....

Just when I get this figured out they're going to change it - I mean improve...

Thanks - Jason
www.appleboxwood.com