Patition top tenons

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Patition top tenons

Post by Donald Thomson »

I'm trying to add tenons to the top of a partition. I have a split top for the cabinet (top front is 4" wide, top back is 4" wide). I notice that a tenon is only added at the front of the partition and not the back. I've got my construction parameters set up for .375" deep tenons, .007" width tolerance and .03" depth tolerance.

Is there a parameter I need to setup to get a tenon front and back?

Thanks!!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Patition top tenons

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Donald
I tried your settings and played around with various mixtures and was unable to get a dado at the back either.
I'm not really clear on how the dados get applied to the partition and the rails at the top. Are they applied across the whole top or only to the front one, or only where the rail touches the partition.
But anyway while I was messing around all I was able to get was this to happen, in the attached image with these settings the KD pattern appeared, it would appear that the back inset in the back rail isn't getting applied,it roughly looks about 40mm instead of 15mm.
When I changed it to a back rail of 120mm the KD pattern disappeared.
My 2cents
Hope it helps. :)
Settings4.jpg
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Don,
I tried to get a tenon on the top of the partition and got the same results as you. I was however able to creat a tenon at the back by increasing the width of the back stretcher slightly and making sure that the dimension change was the last operation before attempting a rebuild. to clarify-- if I changed the front stretcher width and rebuilt the cabinet the tenon would be place on the front stretcher, and if I changed the dimension on the back stretcher and rebuilt the cabinet the tenon would be moved from the front stretcher to the back stretcher. I think this might be a programing fix.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks guys. Maybe this is a programming issue. Clint, if you see this could you please lend us your expertise and advice?

Thanks!!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Don,

This is a limitation of eCabinets. Each edge of a part can only construct into one part. ECabinets will construct into the part that the edge contacts the most. So you can modify the width of the stretcher to choose which one it contacts the most with.

-Clint-
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks Clint!! I thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

This is a limitation of eCabinets. Each edge of a part can only construct into one part. ECabinets will construct into the part that the edge contacts the most. So you can modify the width of the stretcher to choose which one it contacts the most with.
Thanks Clint, Thats useful advice, I had been wondering what was happening in certain situations.