Drawer Box is rendering box size including hole patterns

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Drawer Box is rendering box size including hole patterns

Post by Mark McCallum »

I am doing a file for a adjustable size bed frame and am adding drawers ect-cetera.

Just trying to Align and place the drawer box accurately but the object frame including the hole patterns is included unlike the main cabinet.
Added-drawer-Boxes-alignment.jpg
The project

Bed-frame.jpg
Just a idea / suggestion if its not possible at the moment? Any tips apreciated

Would it be possible to select the drawer box and resize it without re entering and adding, rotating and relocating the box?

Thanking you
Mark
Attachments
Resize-drawer-box-question-sugestion.jpg
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Drawer Box is rendering box size including hole patterns

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Mark,

Is that an assembly? If so, could you use something like this (see attachment) it is a cabinet that is only a back (phantom part) with a drawer box attached. This lets you change drawer boxes and size.
Attachments
Drawer Box.jpg
Drawer Box.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Drawer Box.hsf
(402.02 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Kerry.
Thanks for that clever idea. :) ,I think that will be the way I go, rather than using the static, add display drawer dialogue.
I had been trying to keep it as one adjustable unit, but adding the drawer on the end had already taken that plan away.
Kerry Fullington wrote: Is that an assembly?
That is one cabinet with stretchers in it. I've taken a real liking to stretchers over the last little while. With assemblies I have to remember what interacts with what, and I'm not getting any better at remembering why I did things latley. :?

The stretcher feature as you know is a bit like a full on 3d associative modeling program.
The advantage of using stretchers for me is being that I can resize a single cabinet all over the place, as long as the restraints don't become self interacting, (cause conflicts because pieces become unmakable.) For me it is one of the most stable parts of the program.

I haven't tried it, but theoretically I could make all the drawer parts out of associative stretchers, apply part editor cuts to create dados and holes and the cabinet would be totally resizable. But time wise unless it was to be a real popular unit, it's not worth it......
Actually I just noticed with the latest update that fine programing folks :beer: have fixed that problem where all your sets disappear in the constraints manager, if they start staying put, it could be a more feasible proposition.
I also noticed that they fixed another problem "Stretcher Editor is selecting the hidden part as a parent part for a stretcher (FIXED)" I had not noticed this happening to me, but it could also explain some of my fails. More :beer: to the programmers.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

While I haven't looked at your specific issue yet Mark (seems like when it rains it pours), but to add to what Kerry suggested, when removing standard parts such as tops, decks, etc, there is a difference between selecting them and deleting them, versus going to Construction Settings and unchecking the box Has Back, Has Top, etc. If for example you load the Std Upper Frameless, then go to Construction Settings, uncheck the box for each of the parts, and then click OK. You'll then still have the ghost of a cabinet with no parts that you can add a drawer box, door, drawer, shelves, and face frames to. You cannot add stretchers to this ghost cabinet. The size of the "cabinet" then controls the size of the part, drawer box, etc. This may help so you do not have to factor in phantom part thickness.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Thanks Clint,
I hadn't made that differentiation and its good to know there is a difference.