Is rendering playing up for anyone else?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Is rendering playing up for anyone else?

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi guys.
Not sure if its just my computer.
As far as I can tell all my graphic drivers are up to date.
I haven't been into the presentation area for a while, so it could just be user error. (me)
The system crashed and the reporter came up, which I sent but was unable to reproduce the crash.
But the presentation view doesn't work for me.

This a screen shot of enhanced view, pre-presentation view
Screenshot 2023-06-04 094501.jpg
So when I render it doesn't display the rendered image it goes through the rendering process but it doesn't display like I remember it used to? It still looks like enhanced view.
But if I press Jpeg and save it saves the render to file.
This one is a saved render of the output jpeg but it didn't display.
Hawthorne2.jpg
Thanks
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Is rendering playing up for anyone else?

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Mark,

Double check in Presentation Settings you have it set for Full Render. Even with mine set to Preview Render I still get a decent render, but I'm working with simple stuff to verify operations.

-Clint-
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Mark,

A couple of things you might look at.

First, you have a lot of light in that room for a render. (look at the flare on your floor)
I would probably just use two, maybe three fixtures for that room and turn the intensity down. I rarely use the down lights either, I have the best luck with the 4 light chandelier. You can hide the fixtures when you do your render. (place 2 at ceiling height and one halfway between floor and ceiling.

Make sure you have added shine to all of your textures. I use a setting of 2 for floors and walls, 3 for boxes, 4 for things I want to highlight, (moldings, doors) and 5 for countertops.

I'll add a third thing. In presentation settings I have better results using scan line rather than ray trace.

Less light is always better. If a light starts to wash out your textures, turn it down. Fix the final render in Photoshop or something similar.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Thanks for the replies.
If you you can preview your renders before printing, I think it must be my computer or graphics card.
I've tried 3 different jobs and it doesn't work for me.

Also thanks for those settings and tips Kerry.
I will save them and use them.
I remember you posting some very nice renders from .......must be 10 or more years ago now.
Mark.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Mark,
Do you not get any image when you do a Presentation View?

It seems that in the past, the Preview Render created a smaller, lower quality image that rendered much quicker. Now there is a little difference in the quality, and render times seem about the same as the Full Render.

For my rendered presentation views, I just do the Full Render and use the Windows Snip Tool to grab the part of the images that I want to use and paste them into IrfanView or Paint Shop Pro to finish them off. (I normally just sharpen the image and convert them to greyscale, so clients aren't distracted by the colors in the image.)
1.jpg
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Thats a very nice job Kerry.
Do you not get any image when you do a Presentation View?
The view stays the same as in the enhanced view.
The Calculations take place but the image stays the same as enhanced view and the shadows and lighting effects don't show on the screen. (so I don't see a preview of the render)
But if I use the save Jpeg button after it does its calculations, the image is saved with all the shadows and lighting effects.

If it is working for you and Clint, it is must be something with my computer or settings.
I rarely use the presentation setting so its not a problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just tested it on a backup computer and it works okay, so its definitely my computer.
I should have checked that first.

Maybe the next graphic driver update might fix it.

Thanks so much for your help
Mark
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Mark,

Just for fun, try checking these two boxes in Settings/Preferences (maybe one at a time) and see if anything happens.
Clipboard01.jpg
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Kerry.
It was good fun. :)
That worked. Thanks for that.

I should have checked that one too. :?
Definitely loosing it. I think because it used to work, I figured my setup hadn't changed.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to help solve my issues :D
Mark
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I've had the same issue for a couple months now on one of my computers. It acts like its doing the render but nothing changes. Take the same job to another computer and it renders just fine. I figure it's an update windows did.

Forrest
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Yes . This exactly Forest!
Was working, now not working.
Try playing with those settings Kerry suggested. It fixed mine up.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

I think I did an update to my video card and that or a windows update broke it. For some reason I feel like my video card isn't working anymore and it's using onboard graphics. When I run a test on the card the results are good so can't figure that out. I remember those two settings were for computers with crappy cards so I never thought of turning them on but will give it a go.

Forrest
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Couple noteworthy scenarios:

For those using Nvidia cards with laptops, right click on Desktop, choose Nvidia Control Panel. Under Manage 3D Settings, if you are concerned with battery usage, under Program Settings set eCabinets to use High Performance card. If you are not concerned about battery usage you can set the Global Settings to always high performance. For standard PCs, there isn't much to change but I usually set Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance.

For users with Windows 11, Windows has started to define the default graphics cards for programs. Right click on your desktop, choose Display Settings. Scroll down to Related Settings for Graphics, choose Graphics. Most likely you will need to add eCabinets as an app, so choose Browse, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems and choose the eCabinets EXE. Once its on the list at the bottom click it, then Options, and choose High Performance.

Neither of these may fix the issue everyone is seeing, but they can help set you up for consistency. Also always make sure you are getting your graphics driver, directly from manufacturer's site. Nvidia site https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx. Not sure on other manufacturer's sites, but that will give you an idea of what to look for.

-Clint-
Cesar Font
Company Name: Casa i Dissenyo

Post by Cesar Font »

Yup,
Same thing just happened to me.

I have been premiering my new Asus TUF today, cheking performance and so on.

Rendering was happening OK, I changes to ray traceing to see how it performed, then a GForce Experience Pop Up occured in the middle of a rendering execution. After that ,renders have not been displaying on screen, just jpgs saved.

I think an Nvidia pop up also ucurred right after the gforce experience one. They both disapeared in a second, didn't have timeto read what the Nvidia pop up said. But after that renders do not show.

I've been trying to tweek-untweek but to no avail.
Casa i Dissenyo
San Francisco del Rincón, Guanajuato, México
52(476) 128-0049
Cesar Font
Company Name: Casa i Dissenyo

Post by Cesar Font »

I just switched to force software rendering and it render on screen again. ¿does that mean it is not using the GPU anymore?
¿what's the use of higher end hardware if it doesn't use it ?

It was working fine in the morning, just suddenly in the middle of rendering trials it failed. So curious.

I've allways hated changing to new OSs. Full of bugs. Never get used to new UI, missing things one is a power user of. ugh.
Casa i Dissenyo
San Francisco del Rincón, Guanajuato, México
52(476) 128-0049
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Nvidia just came out with another driver update that fixed it for me.

Forrest