Pinning cut path not sticking

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Pinning cut path not sticking

Postby Mark McCallum » Mon, Sep 27 2021, 8:45PM

Hi there
I have tried a few attempts at this door, the 2 I have cut it appears that the left hand door left hand 1st groove has problems.
In one instance it cut about 800 long on a 450mm door, (I thought I had forgot to pin it)
In the attached instance the edge groove has not cut full depth and moved over. The right hand door, from the 2 tests seems okay.
I have removed part editor cuts every time to restart it.

(Don't worry about the adjustable shelf holes, it was just some scrap lying around that I used for testing.)
I have applied constraints to the top and bottom but the first groove always seems to come unstuck. It looks okay until you cut it.
In the attached unit, to bring it out so that you can view it unstuck, eyeball it in the part editor select the pointer and it appears
It is a flip op shark nose door job.

I did apply the cut path as 6 different instances.
I was hoping that the left and right hand groove could be only 3mm deep and the top, bottom and center grooves be 4mm deep, I was trying to keep the grooves on the sides of the door smaller so that they appeared to be regular in the kitchen.
They all seem to get subsumed onto the one layer to a depth of 4 mm, I can't seem to set depths in the constraints manager, I can work around that, but is that because the grooves go to the outside? or have I forgotten something, (senility beckons :? )
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Test 6 best handle.hsf
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 190 times
Test 6 best handle.jpg
Test 6 best handle.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
misplaced-champher.jpg
Champher moved
unpinned-path.jpg
Unpinned

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Pinning cut path not sticking

Postby Mark McCallum » Wed, Sep 29 2021, 4:06AM

Hi
I have been looking at this a bit more and have made a 3min video on how to reproduce this result.
https://vimeo.com/617767668

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, Sep 29 2021, 7:56AM

Mark,

Do you get the same results using a back from a standard cabinet and same results on both your computers? The blue line will stay in the same place it was originally placed as it is just geometry where the path was originally swept, not where the cutpath exists.

-Clint-

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Oct 01 2021, 4:48AM

Hi Clint.
Thanks for the response.
I think it was my trimming technique.
By that I mean, once I trimmed the lines for the path exactly in the contour editor then applied the tool to the path and then constraining it, it has then worked.
Before I was pulling the path to the constraints after the tool had already followed the unsized path.
Anyway, we will see how that goes. :)
Thanking you
Mark

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Jul 08 2022, 7:31AM

Still playing with more of this job.

Partly a 3 axis forum question and partly Ecabs

And I just like to say the profile modeller improvements added to control nesting are great / Brilliant. :D
Thanks for all the behind the scenes work by the programmers. :beer:

Still trying to get my head around if this is a feature (like is it a feature that it follows the contour editor lines ) or if its not working correctly

We can get these to work cleanly if we do all the trimming before applying tool paths.
If we apply tool paths to lines from the contour editor and then try to constrain them we have problems

We were working on this a while ago and I think the smaller cabinet has been resized down, the vertical grooves have dropped off, but the top finger pull doesn't shorten or drop off past the end of the door and in control nesting can nest outside the sheet or even outside of machine bounds. I have not tried but I think the machine might stop at that point as its outside the envelope.

The larger cabinet renders okay but as you can see in the profile modeller(region #7) the tool is away from the place where it is supposed to be.
It can be constrained down into the door, but it renders and appears okay in ecabs, just the tool isn't pulled down with the rendered picture.
So is this the way its supposed to work?
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Mark
Ent unit1.jpg
Ent unit1.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Attachments
20220708_172920.jpg
Ent unit1.hsf
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
ent unit 2.hsf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 122 times

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”