Custom paint color for Conestoga door and drawerfront

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Custom paint color for Conestoga door and drawerfront

Post by Gene Davis »

I took a screencap of a Walzcraft solid color, their "Classic White," and using an editor, changed the .jpg size to 100 x 100 pixels, same size as all the "finishes" in the out-of-box directory of finishes. I copied and pasted this color, this 100x100 .jpg, into the finishes folder in my Thermwood directory.

See the pic for how that folder looks. You can see the color image at bottom left.

But it will not work when I go to "apply" this "finish" to a Conestoga door TW-10 brought into a library I named "My Doors." Any of the other finishes will "apply" but not this one. Why?

I can use the color for edgebanding stock, but not for doors or drawerfronts. What is the secret.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-10 154901.jpg
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Custom paint color for Conestoga door and drawerfront

Post by Clint Buechlein »

There seems to be something odd going on in the selection of texture for the doors. I'll pass the issue along to the software engineers to look at.

In the mean time, you can get it working by following the steps below:

1. Select your desired texture in the Door/Drawer Designer.
2. Click the Reset View button, it won't change the display.
3. Choose the Change button and pick a different texture than the one you want.
4. Click the Reset View button and will update to your texture.
5. Click the change button again and pick the texture you want.
6. Click the Reset View button again and it won't update.
7. Save your door.

-Clint-
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks, Clint, but that does not work for me.

Have you tried making a custom color, as I did, by screencapping the target color, saving it as a .jpg image, then using an editor to make it the same size as the textures that reside in the as-shipped program under hard maple, and then tried to make that the color of a door?

Because that is what I did, and it will not work even with your suggested workaround: door and drawer front designer>select door>conestoga>TW10>general tab>species>hard maple>CHANGE> and then your sequence.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

My steps seem to keep working for me. The only additional issue I have found is that if the image is not in the folder of the door's default material type the image change won't work. Your steps say you have it in the Hard Maple folder, and that works OK for me on the TW-10 door. Video of my steps can be downloaded or watched here http://www.thermwood.com/download/Temp_ ... /Steps.mp4

-Clint-
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

I am so frustrated. I cannot get the results you get, Clint.

My file structure is PUBLIC DOCUMENTS>THERMWOOD>ECABINET SYSTEMS>DOORS>CONESTOGA>FINISHES>HARD MAPLE

In that FINISHES file called HARD MAPLE, reside all the different stain colors that came with the program, all are 100x100 pixel .jpg images, and one I added that is the Walzcraft standard color I called Walzcraft Classic White. Before adding it, I made sure with an image editor it was 100x100.

I use your exact sequence in the door designer mode, that you described in text and then video, and the finish will not change.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

As it turns out, mine working was an accident. You are not supposed to be able to modify the images of a saved Conestoga door. I can put the request in for the software engineers to add it for a future version.

-Clint-
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gene,
To change color for a Consetoga door you have to change the color jpeg of one of the existing Conestoga colors. I went to
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Doors\Conestoga\FINISHES\hard maple and chose the heatherblue 15sheen jpeg with a red jpeg image the name has to remain heatherblue 15sheen
Finishes.jpg
You also have to change this image jpeg in your materials folder
C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\materials\Hard Maple heatherblue 15sheen
materials.jpg
You can now use this texture image from the hard maple selections in ecabinets. it will still be called heatherblue 15sheen but will have the texture image you replaced it with.

The catch is, when you replace any of these images make a copy of both folders you changed the image in and keep them as a backup because every time you get an ecab update it will overwrite your changes.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Here is a screen shot from the Door Designer with the CRP-10 door and the changed color
doors.jpg
I wanted to add that this has always been such a chore to do that I just use Modify Textures in Custom Layout or in the Render View to change my door and drawer textures for presentations.

This is a whole lot simpler, gets the same results and saves with the job.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

I wanted to add that this has always been such a chore to do that I just use Modify Textures in Custom Layout or in the Render View to change my door and drawer textures for presentations.
And I don't disagree. The original implementation of Conestoga doors was for ordering purposes through the software. The textures displayed were the only ones offered by Conestoga so those were what was in it. After we removed the ordering process of doors, the work has not been put in to update customizing textures for those type of doors. I've added to the wishlist though for a possibly feature update.

-Clint-
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks, Kerry, but it does not work for me.

I have no Materials folder in my Thermwood directory.

And it was not clear to me what steps you took to change the heatherblue .jpg image in the one you selected in the Hard Maple finishes folder to your red color.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gene,
There are three different places eCabinets stores things. I bet the Program Data file is a hidden file.
In Windows 10, type Folder in the search bar on the task bar. Choose File explorer options then click on the View tab and then select Show Hidden Files and folders.

You should then be able to navigate to the C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\materials\Hard Maple folder