Material Thickness

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Material Thickness

Post by Kerry Fullington »

In this time of material shortages, shipping problems etc. We can't get the same material delivered two weeks in a row. Our plywood can be anywhere from a full .750 to .670 thickness. Most things in eCabinets allow me to use formulas to adjust this but some don't.
Our upper cabinets have an inset back and we use plywood for nailers. I have the back inset in our library set for .750 which works until we get the material that is .670. This causes the nailer to be inset from the back and when they tighten the screws during install, it breaks the back away from the top or deck. I know you are thinking it is only 1/16" but to the powers that be here, this is unacceptable so if I have a job ready to nest and we get thin material in that week, I have to go back and correct the back inset on every upper and tall cabinet.
We also notch all partitions on base cabinets to allow a nailer to span the full width of the cabinet. These notches are governed by the Constraint Manager and there is no way to add formulas to change these either so I manually have to take every partition in the job to the constraint manager and change the constraints.
Any Ideas besides "Don't worry about 1/16"?
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Re: Material Thickness

Post by Donald Thomson »

The way I handle that is to create a "Toe kick" for the upper cabinet (make it a phantom part), out of the same material you use to make your nailers. I then inset the back the thickness of the phantom toe kick material (nailers). This adjusts the back inset when you enter new material thicknesses when sending to the CNC. Took me a while to figure this out but it works great.

As far as the notches in partitions for nailers, I set them depth to .75" to accommodate the stretcher. If the new plywood is thinner then my "stretcher material", I've used pieces of edgebanding to shim the notch out during assembly. I hate having to go back and do all the little adjustments in CM to accommodate for the myriad of materials available today. Your mileage may vary.....
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Donald,
I tried your suggestion for the toekick on an upper cabinet but how do you adjust for deck insets and face frame deck float etc. without adding a lot of formulas for these items.
What am I missing?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Hey Donald,

Figured it out. that will work great for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Back to the drawing board.

I would need to be able to use a formula to calculate the toe-kick height for this to work.
The toe-kick height sets the deck height in relation to the face frame bottom rail. I need the toe-kick height to be a formula, bottom rail height-deck thickness, otherwise when I change the thickness of the deck material it won't flush with the bottom rail. I also need it to work if I change the width of the bottom rail.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I think I finally got it.

Made a short toekick then used a formula for deck inset - Bottom rail width-toekick height-deck thickness
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I set my toe kick height and setback to .001". Enough to satisfy the software but not enough to effect other settings.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Perfect,

Thanks
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Well, it was good while it lasted.
I have too many upper cabs (Probably over 50) to go over sinks, ranges etc. that have the deck removed and replaced by fixed shelves and split backs. These won't allow me to add a toekick material.
I don't want to fix the inset problem on just some of the uppers it has to be all of them, or I will still have problems.

I t would be great if nailers were an entity unto themselves with their own editor instead of made from stretchers so they could be referenced in formulas. :wall: