Workaround for doing different slide mounts R and L sides?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Workaround for doing different slide mounts R and L sides?

Post by Gene Davis »

For basecabs with one door, not double doors, one door hinged R or L, we want to do rollout tray drawers inside, with the slides spaced from the "end" (gable) on the hinged side, using a 19mm Blum part. This spacer mounts with two screws, 32mm spread, located right where we'd mount the slide if no spacer.

And on the not-hinged side, we'll mount the slide to the "end" (gable) with no spacers. Thus, the drawers get mounted and need a different drawerslide hole set each side.

Got any ideas on how this can be done?
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: Workaround for doing different slide mounts R and L sides?

Post by Ralph Balanik »

If you are building face frame cabinets I don't have a workaround but if you are building frame less there is a 155 degree hinge that will move the door out of the way so that the drawer can be mounted normally between the case ends.
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Gene,

I made a PTN file that has the normal center hole for mounting the slide, and one hole above and below, at the 32mm on ctr, and renamed it for the slide, but "with standoff." On the bench, you still have to know if both or one side gets the standoffs, but all the holes are there. You can't see the extra unused holes if the slide is directly mounted to the gables (at least with the side mounts we typically use), and the center hole in the side that gets the standoff is similarly hidden behind the standoff.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Blum has a hinge called a 0 protrusion hinge that is designed specifically to make pull out trays a no brainer. I use these hinges all the time. You can get Inserta, screw in and doweled. Soft close and not soft close. They use the Blum 3mm hinge plate.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com