How to part-edit 22.5 bevel cut along edge

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

How to part-edit 22.5 bevel cut along edge

Post by Gene Davis »

Attached here is a screencap of a corner cabinet we want to build, a lazy susan base corner, with its 3/4" back parts needing edge-bevels for assembly.

Is this possible in the part-edit mode? Can a Thermwood router cut the needed 22.5 bevel face?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-26 220802.jpg
Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Re: How to part-edit 22.5 bevel cut along edge

Post by Gene Davis »

Well, sorry for the bandwidth, all. I dug into things and figured it out. Had never used this feature of eCabs before, but had seen bevel-cut edges in cabinet files given my by our production-sharing partner, and never knew what it was.

So I made a tool and cut the edges. Attached is the result, a corner cab with three-piece back inset 3/8-inch, the back parts can be cut without flips, and the 36x36 cabinet can house standard 33" lazy susan stacks. I included a pic of the Amana tool that can cut the edge.

I used the 45 degree bit but see that Amana offers one that's 46. Included is a CAD pic of what you get when you add the extra half degree to each bevel. Is that bit used so that one has a tight fit at the tip, where it is more needed than inside?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-27 084401.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-27 082039.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-27 082421.jpg
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Re: How to part-edit 22.5 bevel cut along edge

Post by Stuart Douglas »

The angle is purposefully overcut for doing miterfolds in wood products (MDF) to accommodate the inevitable swelling of the wood fibers on glued assemblies so that it is tight at the outside, and not held open by the interference of the "swollen" inside. We just used that bit to miterfold some PL skinned flakeboard here, and the gap is quite noticeable from the inside(unseen, in this case). I use a standard 45 or 90 when cutting solid surface, which does not swell when glued.
Attachments
mfpl01.jpeg
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS