Do you cut beveled edges?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Do you cut beveled edges?

Post by Gene Davis »

I did a part edit to bevel mating edges of three piece lazy susan cabs, and the production share shop says no, we don't do that?

How difficult can it be to use a 45 bit for this?
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Do you cut beveled edges?

Post by Mark McCallum »

If you are sending your jobs to a jobbing shop I can understand them not doing it.
Until you have to program or set up a job you just don't realize how complicated anything other than straight up and down cuts can become.
Straight up square, round or squiggly, cuts just send them to the machine, let it nest and cut them.
Modelling angles or shapes or assigning tools to certain edges requires more thinking. Also the time to model your edges could be 2,3 or four sheets of time for straight out normal cutting.
Also they might have their machine set up for various jobs and to swap out that tooling to set it up for yours is probably just not worth it.
Its fine if its all set up and you have a production run, but yes its actually quicker to cut the 45 miters or 22.5 on the panel saw for a few angles.

Having said all that, in the latest machine controller upgrade just released Thermwood have made changes to the modeling and tooling interface that might or might not make it easier to manage modelling, I haven't had a chance to study it yet.

Any way, that's my assessment or interpretation of your question. :wink: