Fix vague error messages

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Fix vague error messages

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

When writing a TWD file, if there are any errors, it would be SUPER AWESOME if the error message would also tell you what cabinet and material has caused the error.

It's a whole lot of no-fun going thru dozens of cabinets trying to figure out where to start when confronted with an error message like this:
1.JPG
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Re: Fix vague error messages

Post by Donald Thomson »

That is something I've suggested to Thermwood many time. It would be VERY nice to at least know where to start troubleshooting. I've come across many error dialogs over the years that say nothing about what cabinet, part, etc. the problem is in. Most of the time, I send the job to Thermwood asking for their help in narrowing down where I should start looking. They've always been very good at helping me to isolate which cabinet the problem is in. That helps A LOT when you have 50 cabinets in a job. :shock: :o
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Yes, would be a big QOL.
When I have hassles like that, I tick off 50% and re-nest, tick off the next 50%, re-nest, etc.
That gets it down fairly fast.
Time does add up real quick though.

Its all the little things that take 10 minutes here 15minutes there, then before you know it you have lost an hour a day chasing down little things.
Its hard to address, like how do we streamline our own processes to get get rid of these hick ups, it's sort of inherent in the system,and to explain it to the Thermwood guys its just so hard.

I think about this all the time.
Its good to share on here because it does wear on me as well.
I'm not dumb, I'm not smart, but it makes me feel better to hear I'm not the only one wishes it ran smoother.
Also in my situation, I'm the solo trouble shooting guy. So bouncing glitches or ideas off people doesn't really happen and without the forum it would be very isolating.

May be our expectations are too high and we should be building more glitch time into jobs?

It's not that I'm ungrateful.
Soft ware systems have improved out of sight in the last 10 years, Windows and Apple and adobe have insane budgets to throw at their systems.
We kind of get used to all this smoothness outside of our favorite software.

So when you think of it like that, what we get from Thermwood is pretty awesome. :D

Like all of us though, we just want to walk up to the machine, load a job then cut it.
But every day, there is some hold out. Like Friday applying, a profile to a door, 8+ hours gone, Monday, old file just have to swap out some KDS/ RTAs,
Cant do it. Why? I don't know, what should of been a simple job now has to be redone.

Do I hassle Clint who is always very helpful? The poor guy must be sick of me. (Hi Clint, Thanks every bit for your help mate :) ) By the time you mess around working out if it's yourself that's messed up or truly a software glitch, then documenting it it in a coherent file, who has time for that?

I find it hard to know when to quit on an file that doesn't work,
Okay , that doesn't work, Ill just try this,
Okay that doesn't work I'll just try that.
Okay......
Okay shoulda stopped after the first okay and stated again from scratch.........

Anyway guys.
I share your pain.
Lets drink to that :beer: :beer:
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

I've been meaning to give a thanks to the team regarding the improved error reporting.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate your work :beer: