Easiest way to edit (change) all the strechers in my seeds

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis
Company Name: Gene Davis Builder

Easiest way to edit (change) all the strechers in my seeds

Postby Gene Davis » Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:56PM

I need to change all stretchers and rear tops from 4" width to 4.5" width, to make a more proper lock-tenon-with-screw joint.

I don't want to begin without checking in with you pros here. The cabinets, all bases, are drawerstacks, and drawer-over-door, or drawer-over-door-with-rollouts, and I don't want to mess up the fronts.

Is there a way to open the existing stretchers for editing, and change their widths and construction joint parameters? I have not found it.

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Easiest way to edit (change) all the strechers in my seeds

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:04PM

Hi Tommy.
I read your question in 2 ways.
One way is to do them in the stretcher editor, you can adjust individual stretchers by highlighting and clicking on C or using the adjust stretcher dialogue which has two or more layers of additional controls.
adjust Strecher.jpg

Or are you referring to a top shelf stretcher.
adjust Strecher 2.jpg
I can't think of a way for global or directory wide modifications, but others may have a way to do it

I sometimes find modifying stuff like that a bit like Russian roulette, when it works its like wow, what an amazing program! That was easier than I thought and it just works. That was good.

Or the other scenario, this could work this way, why is it so hard? I wonder if I'm the only person to want to do this? And Damm! :) now I have lost all my settings, Now I have to start over. :(

I try to (just like you are doing) find the best way first, then do a thorough check after modifying one cabinet first before proceeding onto modifying all of them.
Just a thought
You can duplicate a whole directory as well.and perhaps just modify all of those in that directory.
I find the placement of screw holes is related to the material. Particle board can have them a lot closer to the edge where as MDF needs the wider stretchers with different insets so you might want to keep your existing library ....

Probably not much help.
But good luck

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Re: Easiest way to edit (change) all the strechers in my seeds

Postby Donald Thomson » Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:52AM

I agree with Mark. Sometimes performing global modifications can have unpredictable results. I've had it happen a couple of times where I had to start over again. I've used the global modification in a batch and in a custom layout with pretty good success.

I'd think some sort of script would have to be written to load a cabinet, make the changes, save it then open the next one.

The other option would be to load all your seed cabinets into a batch, make the global change, then save each cabinet individually. I'd try this option with a few cabinets (after I back them up). See how it goes.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”