Line Drawing Editor Crashing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

jay rump
Company Name: The Blanchard Woodshop

Line Drawing Editor Crashing

Postby jay rump » Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:47AM

Is anyone else having crashing issues when using the Line Drawing Editor. I am breaking house plans in to separate :wall: rooms to keep the files as small as possible and we still cannot use the line drawing editor to create wall views with dimensions for the contractor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Line Drawing Editor Crashing

Postby Forrest Chapman » Tue, Jan 17 2023, 2:10PM

Hey Jay, what are your computer specs? Not sure what it is about line drawings but they seem to require a lot of computing power.

Forrest

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:04PM

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have been having this issue for several years Clint says that its on the ecabinets side that the files are just too big. I am trying to find if anyone else out there using ecabinets is having the same problem. I never used to have this problem until several years ago. The line drawing editor should be able to be used without crashing.

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Forrest Chapman » Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:29PM

Your specs are definitely on the bare minimum for larger jobs. Dedicated Open GL graphics cards help as well. I looked up one of my larger jobs with drawings and it's just under 79mb. It's a little slow but doesn't crash in LDE.

I have a Dell Precision desktop and 2 laptops with Quadro cards that even though they are a few years old work well.

Forrest

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Postby Kerry Fullington » Wed, Jan 18 2023, 8:41AM

Jay,
What is your graphics card?

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:31PM

Nvidia Quadro P600 is graphics card

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:34PM

the largest job that I have is 200,000 KB I can not do anything in line drawing editor with this job. If i bring anything into the line drawing editor it will crash when I try and save the file

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Wed, Jan 18 2023, 12:37PM

Most of my jobs range from 80-200 MB

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Thu, Jan 19 2023, 8:20AM

Jay,

Clint is probably correct about it being a problem with job size, but it doesn't hurt to make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers.

I have intermittent crashes in the Line Drawing Editor that happen in jobs of all sizes. At times I have crashes when trying to change fonts. I open Fonts, change the font size or color and when I close Fonts, eCabinets crashes. Because of this I try to keep all print drivers up to date. Don't know if it helps.

I also have problems printing from the Line Drawing Editor at different times. I select the Print Icon and print a page of drawings (usually printing to .PDF) and when I select the Print Icon again, I get a crash. If I select File then Print or ctrl+p for the second drawing, eCabinets does not crash.

I can go to the Line Drawing Editor and make some changes to a page, exit the Line Drawing Editor back to a batch or Custom Layout then try to go back to the Line Drawing Editor and eCabinets crashes.

None of these things happen all the time, or on every job. It is pretty random.
Sometimes closing the job, shutting down the computer and re-opening everything seems to fix the problem for a while. Sometimes it doesn't.

Because of this I no longer provide dimensioned wall elevation drawings to the shop or installers. They have a laptop with the job loaded and open on it and can pull up any wall (or cabinet)to get dimensions. This is not ideal but saves me a lot of time and aggravations. I still do shop drawings in the Line Drawing Editor, but these are broken up into batches of 24 cabinets max.

Like you, I wish the Line Drawing Editor worked properly regardless of job size.

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Thu, Jan 19 2023, 10:43AM

Well sorry you are having all those issues with line drawing editor. It is good to know I am not the only ecabinets user that is having these issues. Every situation you explained with your ecabinets crashing has happened to me also, very aggravating. I am trying to come up with an easier way to have shop drawings for the employees and the contractors. Right now we are trying to print to scale in the wall view, than we are printing a PDF and opening that file in Blue beam and we can put notes on the PDF and than ecabinets does not crash. biggest problem with this is we cannot move dimensions so they are not overlapping. There has to be an easier way to get drawings and be able to use ecabinets.

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Thu, Jan 19 2023, 11:51AM

Jay,
I have never been able to make the auto-dimension feature work either. It is easier to place the dimensions I need rather than editing and making the auto dimensions readable.

I have also tried printing to .pdf and opening in BlueBeam and exporting to .dxf and opening in AutoCad. Neither works for me.

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Tue, Jan 24 2023, 9:53AM

It is not just Job size. I am working on a batch that is just 61mb this morning. dimensioned 27 cabinets in the Line drawing editor, exited the LDE to check something in batch and when I tried to go back to the LDE eCabs crashed. Luckily, I had saved while in the LDE.

jay rump

Postby jay rump » Tue, Jan 24 2023, 1:22PM

yep i have files as small as 8 cabinets, just doing a single vanity and after I use line drawing editor it crashes. I wish they could fix this, if line drawing editor worked properly this is great design software. i really like ecabinets for out putting to the router and having complete control of construction joints. coming up with drawings for contractors and interior designers is next to impossible. Would be awesome if there is someone out there with a solution

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Tue, Jan 24 2023, 2:29PM

I sometimes think it might be computer specific, but I had the same problem with my previous laptop. I have tried many times to make the crash happen but can never recreate the steps.

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Sat, Jan 28 2023, 6:18PM

I love my Ecabs :D

But I don't use the line drawing editor. We have tried and tried to make it work for us, tried to become more proficient, tried to adjust to what we can do in there.
But every time we just decide Its not as good as our old way and give up. The lady that helps me to do drawings just ignores me now when I say maybe we should have another go at the line editor. :lol:
Maybe we are too fixed in our thinking to adjust.

We use a drawing program to do layouts and elevations. It allows a lot of room for error because its not integrated within eCabs but it works better for us.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”