GLITCH in part editor for doors that are edged

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nicholas Kiss
Company Name: Clearcut

GLITCH in part editor for doors that are edged

Postby Nicholas Kiss » Fri, Feb 17 2023, 4:32PM

hey I've been struggling with these part edited doors and drawers that have certain patterns which need to be constrained and it seems i part edit from the design tab then door/drawer editor, then go to constraint manager there is a slit cut off of my door, which i then have to go to part editor to delete it
this is very frustrating because it seems like that also causes minor bugs like constraint manager constraints lose a reference point and sometimes deletes the part edit cuts entirely, this is also happening when i part edit a door from the cabinet editor but i'll be showing pictures from the design tab- door/drawer editor down below

i attached a step by step picture of when the problem occurs see attachments

once i delete the part edit (refer to step3.png) then i continue constraining and thats when interesting.png happens, where it seems offset by a mm

also the circled part is me wondering if maybe door edging is causing this problem? it looks like it overlaps from the y axis grid line seems like its shifted to the left of it by something like a millimeter
Attachments
step3.PNG
step2.PNG
step2.PNG (8.35 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
step1.PNG
step1.PNG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
interesting.PNG

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: GLITCH in part editor for doors that are edged

Postby Mark McCallum » Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:56PM

Hi Nicholas.
Perhaps if you post the cabinet we can understand better.
I cant fully follow your process or method thinking.
What is the slit?
Mark

Nicholas Kiss

Postby Nicholas Kiss » Sat, Feb 25 2023, 12:44PM

Hi Mark, the slit isn't something that i added, it randomly appeared so i don't know what it is, just that i have to get rid of it

the pictures are from the first part editor picture bottom to top they indicate exactly what i do to make the handle holes that i placed which you can see in the constraint manager

the steps were, part edit and cut out using geometric shapes (1/8 diam circles)
go to constraint manager
constrain holes to proper size and location
go back to main which in this case is door/drawer editor (while part editing doors with edges i always have this problem)
then when i go back to part editor the slit randomly appears and constraints are lost

you can recreate this problem by adding a slab door with edges from the design tab at the top and making these 2 holes and constraining the holes properly

i'll add my door hsf file

Nicholas Kiss

Postby Nicholas Kiss » Sat, Feb 25 2023, 12:50PM

White Door euro handle.jpg
White Door euro handle.jpg (2.52 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
white door euro handle.hsf
(172.02 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:41PM

Hi Nicholas.
When I examined it in the part editor it seemed okay. When I zoom in I cant see that slit. (it does look like edging in your image)
The door came into my ecabs unconstrained.

Unless somebody else comes in with an answer, My two cents.
I used to have a lot of problems with constraints. I still do sometimes, but cleaning up how I constrained solved a lot of problems.
So see that zero constraint, I think that is where you tried to tie the two holes onto the same dimension, From my experience the back end tries to join or put those holes together and tends to then drop the constraint or something. I was once told by Scott Val (a previous mod like Clint) That ecabs doesent actually like two points in exactly the same spot, I think it needs to track where every point is and when two points are in the exact same spot on the same layer it gets a headache differentiating the points so tries to fit them together.

If I was constraining that configuration I would constrain each hole separately.
I have attached your door constrained how I would do it.

I have also found formulas can save a lot of time like, the W/2-(half of handle or half distance apart width) will resize with the door.
Nic's door.jpg
I notice that the holes don't go all the way through, If they are supposed to go all the way through I would do that in the part editor, also when you add them in the part editor just type in the diameter. Then the diameter and depth stick to the hole without the need to constrain.

Might not be much help but something to think about. :)
Attachments
white door euro revised.hsf
(172.02 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

Nicholas Kiss

Postby Nicholas Kiss » Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:07PM

[quote="Mark McCallum"]

thanks Mark, i like the way you formulate your constraints; the holes are supposed to not go through all the way

i tried to recreate the door again and this time the problem is in a much higher caliber, I'll link the doors again and if it looks right in part editor then try hitting the eraser and it'll show just how messed up it is, hopefully someone can look at this
Attachments
White door Euro Handle.jpg
White door Euro Handle.jpg (3.8 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
white door euro handle.hsf
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
Messed up door.jpg
Messed up door.jpg (2.99 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
messed up door.hsf
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 132 times

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Sat, Mar 25 2023, 8:00PM

Hi Nick
I'm not sure whats going on there.

I am putting the door into the doors, saved, slab file
I just use the software, so I like you am just trying to reproduce your steps.
I couldn't load your door as it was broken and I have attached the error messages.
It still looks like a Constraints thing to me, Maybe there is a constraint that has gone invisible.
Removed-reference.jpg
As a side point, I have a lot of weird stuff happen as well, but to track it down, is sometimes darn near impossible and unless I can reproduce it I just go back and redo it, and 9 times out of ten it works.

But don't let that deter you, I cant get this one but, If you can document and reproduce a glitch definitely report it, it helps us all. :beer:
Also, we other users may have not bothered to follow "that something weird happened once" but when someone else reports it, it jogs a thought and we can help track it.
Its sometimes that little unthought of mouse click or random setting on your setup that alerts or sets off the problem.

The Therwood programmers are the best and fix them when they can.

As Clint often says try and take a standard slab door or cabinet and reproduce it from there. (I hate it when he says that, :joker: but he is right)

Also, I still wasn't clear where you are part editing from so I attached an image of how I think you are
doing it.
Nic's-door2.jpg
I also started a new door with edging on it and part editor cuts. seems to work for me.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

16.2 colourboard test.hsf
(94.02 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:03AM

Hi Nick.
Hmmm
There could be something funny there. If there is its typically ghostly. :? :D

Nicholas Kiss

Postby Nicholas Kiss » Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:14AM

Mark McCallum wrote:Hi Nicholas.
When I examined it in the part editor it seemed okay. When I zoom in I cant see that slit. (it does look like edging in your image)
The door came into my ecabs unconstrained.

Unless somebody else comes in with an answer, My two cents.
I used to have a lot of problems with constraints. I still do sometimes, but cleaning up how I constrained solved a lot of problems.
So see that zero constraint, I think that is where you tried to tie the two holes onto the same dimension, From my experience the back end tries to join or put those holes together and tends to then drop the constraint or something. I was once told by Scott Val (a previous mod like Clint) That ecabs doesent actually like two points in exactly the same spot, I think it needs to track where every point is and when two points are in the exact same spot on the same layer it gets a headache differentiating the points so tries to fit them together.

If I was constraining that configuration I would constrain each hole separately.
I have attached your door constrained how I would do it.

I have also found formulas can save a lot of time like, the W/2-(half of handle or half distance apart width) will resize with the door.
Nic's door.jpg

I notice that the holes don't go all the way through, If they are supposed to go all the way through I would do that in the part editor, also when you add them in the part editor just type in the diameter. Then the diameter and depth stick to the hole without the need to constrain.

Might not be much help but something to think about. :)

Thanks mark! We figured it out, the doors i was using was initially created on an older version

so i went ahead and did clints old trick and it worked! Recreating the door should have been the first thing i tried; the files i was using was corrupt constraints wise

If anyone else has problems with doors and constraints definitely try recreating the door from the standard folder

thanks everyone for your help!

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”