Island pharmacy cabinet open on both front and back

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Sarah Jeffries
Company Name: Millmade Inc

Island pharmacy cabinet open on both front and back

Postby Sarah Jeffries » Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:49AM

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out how to build a cabinet that is open on both the front and back with the "back" running down the middle of the cabinet. I am hoping to get any helpful information on how to accomplish this in ecabs. Here is what I'm looking to do, 3/4" white melamine for all parts. 48"Wx84"Tx22"D with 2 partitions making three equal open shelving areas. I am able to make this on the front side but cannot add any partitions or shelves to the back side.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Sarah

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Re: Island pharmacy cabinet open on both front and back

Postby Terry Davis » Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:10PM

This cabinet can be made its just hard to explain, the easiest solution is to build two 48w x 84h x 11d cabinets and screw them together back to back.

Sarah Jeffries
Company Name: Millmade Inc

Postby Sarah Jeffries » Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:29PM

Are there any videos I can watch since it's hard to explain?

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Postby Terry Davis » Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:56PM

The way I would build it is start with a basic base cabinet, no back, add partitions. you cant use normal backs you have to use full height up and down stretchers placed in the center of the cabinet. Add shelves with back insets equal to half the depth of the cabinet this will place them in the front of the cabinet. Rear shelving holes are accomplished by copying and mirroring the front holes in the part editor. rear shelves are display panels the same size as the front shelves. This how I make our island cabinets which is accessed from the front and rear also.

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Mar 10 2023, 1:31AM

Hi Sarah
As in the replies above, there are probably as many ways to do this as there are ecab users. I made a little video which took about 30 minutes with interruptions and then I exceeded my free upload limit so I cut it by about 2 thirds and just put the last bit mainly in the part editor up. Its raw and jerky, not structured.
Also I used some KD fasteners from Hettich because the partitions clash and also I changed out the joint setting on the partitions from lock dado to KD fittings, (after I finished recording) because the KD's dont work very well with dados, but there would be other ways to do it. (there are probably more suitable fittings out there if you look around) With these fittings I sometimes put a little checkout on the back of the shelf to avoid the shelf hitting the VB35'S because they stick out .
If I was to make this I would spend another 30 minutes or so checking it over, adding edging, or assembly marks. looking at where the screw holes and fitting sit, and just fiddling it until I was happy.
https://vimeo.com/806630709
Double side.jpg
Double side.jpg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Double side.hsf
(4.73 MiB) Downloaded 101 times

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”