Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Lock Dado with Centreline idea

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:01AM

There is a limit of 10 questions and we have 12 available joints,
I left off the last available 2
KD / RTA fastener through and
Lock dado through

So I suppose list them down in the comments if you feel so inclined.

Hi Guys
We mainly use frame less cabinets with the Lock Dado setting and use a straight 4 mm through KD hole pattern which is placed in between the dados, so we can use chipboard screws to pull everything tight.
With the lock Dado settings when you apply the KD hole patterns they work off the the selected face to center the pattern.
In the attached picture there are 3 different thickness materials, The KD pattern is for 16.3mm material is applied and referenced off the selected chosen face.
If you want to keep the holes centered, three different hole patterns are required.
I was just wondering if its a joint that is used much by other users.
With gloss or shiny material even with a pilot hole you can see the swelling on some materials so we like to keep screws centered.

If there was a setting for locating the KD pattern on the center line it would only need 1 pattern and automatically be centered into the material.
KD-on-Center-line.jpg
Just an idea. :)

And just because there is a poll function, If you want to share which is your preferred joint, a poll on the joints we use.

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: Lock Dado with Centreline idea

Postby Jeremy Schiffer » Fri, Mar 24 2023, 9:58AM

We use the same methods, and as you say, a different hole pattern is required for each material thickness. Yes, it would be nice if it could auto-adjust to stay centered on the material. Maybe a variable in the pattern manager so you could set Y = mat'l thickness / 2?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Lock Dado with Centreline idea

Postby Mark McCallum » Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:53AM

Hi Jeremy.
There is a new angle to look at it from.
I had not thought of applying it through the pattern manager.

A similar situation is when the end thickness gets changed.
We use the euro style front overlay hinges.
We have had a couple of times when the the ends get changed from 5/8" (16mm) which is our standard, to 3/4" (18mm) because the customer wants colour board carcasses which only comes in 18mm..........., so we use our standard 16mm carcass units, and flip it to 18mm in global mods (which is very good), but, we forgot to change the hinge drilling pattern.........for The Whole Job, ...... at least twice :(

The door overlay is out by 2mm so by the time you wind back the hinges to make the doors fit and get the gaps right... you have used all your adjustment :(

Perhaps a warning to adjust the hinge drilling pattern for doors when doing a global mod where the end thickness is changed would be useful.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”