How Do You Do It?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

How Do You Do It?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I am starting this thread in the lounge because it contains some non-eCabinet references.
This is my process in the office for all of our jobs. It feels cumbersome in these very busy times, and I would like to know how others handle these processes.

I start with -
AirTable integrated with Google Calendar for project management. This is where all the information about the builder, customer, job and job progress is stored so it is available to those who need it, anywhere. Then my projects go to -
Bluebeam Revu for cabinet take-offs and information to use in -
Custom Cabinet Estimator for estimates. When the estimate is accepted (and in theory a deposit received) the project moves to -
eCabinet Systems for design and to generate presentation drawings, cut list info and create shop and elevation drawings. I also use -
AutoCAD and V Carve Pro for MDF Doors and specialty parts as well as Sketchup to flatten curved parts for vent hood skins.
Upon completion the design presentation is shared via -
Google Slides and Zoom for builder and customer collaboration.
When the design is accepted the project goes back to Custom Cabinet Estimator for the final Proposal based on the eCabinets design.
The job is then exported from eCabinets to -
Excel to clean up eCab info and create multiple cut lists doors, face frames etc. As well as imports for MDF door panels cut on the router.
Finally, elevation drawings, shop cabinet drawings and all cut-lists are sent to -
Microsoft One Note as well as all design notes and images for paperless communication with shop. Each employee as well as installers have a tablet to view all of these documents.
I plan to eliminate One Note in the near future and use AirTable for shop communication.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: How Do You Do It?

Post by Will Williamson »

Here is how I handle it
If you need, Kitchen or bath, cabinets, don't call me
We only, work with other, woodworking and architectural, professionals.
We, only use e cabinets, to build boxes
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Will,
This isn't really about eCabinets. eCabinets is just one of the tools we use.
Even if you are doing commercial jobs, you still need some way to handle project management and customer resources. You need a place to store info about customers and jobs, what jobs are in the pipeline and where they are in that pipeline, what materials are needed and what materials are on order and the status of that order.
You will still have to create estimates, shop drawings, elevation drawings, customer presentations or approval drawings as well as other paperwork. How do you handle these?
How do you create cut lists for the shop and keep track of where the shop is?
How do you store all of this info, so it is accessible to all that need it?

I am trying to get to that "Single Source of Truth" for all of this information and as you can see, I am not there yet.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

To start, let me say, I have almost 50 years, in the carpentry, woodwork trade
I have been contracting, since I was 21 years old. We operate, more akin, to an Art Studio, than any thing else

We use Quick Books Pro, for the estimating, billing, as well as accounts payable and accounts receivable
We use, Open Office, for contracts and spread sheets
We use auto cad, for commercial shop drawing, nothing else, is acceptable, in the Architectural Woodwork business, here in Michigan
Aspire, for all the custom cnc cutting

Most days, I am drawing, in Aspire, my number one, go to software. Even if. I used autocad, for the submittals, I convert to Aspire
and send straight to the machine

I use aspire to layout and nest parts for our custom cutting,
We use our Thermood for 95 percent of manufacturing

I really, do not make many, cut lists, if I do, I use a spread sheet,

The customer sends me autocad files and they pay for and send me their, materials

So I am basically running a one or two man shop

I only do, one project, at a time and I keep every thing, out of the shop, that does not pertain, to that, current project
I have yet, to find a woodworker, that is computer literate,
Most, professional carpenters and woodworkers, here, in the Detroit area, are in the carpenters union but they are still do not know any thing about computerized woodwork

Sounds like you could benefit, from a copy of cabinet vision or micro vellum
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram