Error Profile tool plunge depth greater than tool height (FIXED)

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Error Profile tool plunge depth greater than tool height (FIXED)

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi guys
Thanks for the latest update. :beer: :beer: . Thats 2 beers :joker:

I noticed this one
"Error Profile tool plunge depth greater than tool height (FIXED)"

We just cut a job and all the doors had the cleanup groove cut deeper as in the attached photo.
Its supposed to be flat leaving just a small radius in the corner.
Is this what is fikxed in the latest update?
20211130_124729.jpg
I tried a few things but couldn't get it out so we used cabinet scrapers on every door.
A question I had was regarding the length comp settings. I tried adding 1 mm before and after writing CNC but couldn't affect any changes that I could see. How does length comp work or what is it supposed to do?

Thanking you
Mark
20211130_124729.jpg
Also I think that something has changed with uploading files to the forum, its behaving differently?
Attachments
20211130_125958.jpg
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Error Profile tool plunge depth greater than tool height (FIXED)

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Mark,

The fix was for a scenario where a profile has been applied, then the cabinet resized and the error would come up. With the error you wouldn't be able to get to making a .twd. Your scenario looks like either daylight is off on a profiling tool, or an unexpected tool was used to profile (at least looking at face value).

Length comp is primarily for 5 axis, more so older 5 axis. Technically you could do it in 3 axis, but it's a long way to go about doing what the machine is set up to do.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Thanks for the reply Clint.
I have gone over everything again and cant find whats causing it.
I have sent the job files through, if you have time could you please take a look at it.
Thanking you
Mark.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Mark,

I replied to your email before looking at the CNC file. The pocket and the pocket cleanup are both commanded to go to -5 in Z. Is it supposed to be a radius at the bottom of the pocket? If it is supposed to be squared, my initial thought is a ballnose bit was loaded in place of an endmill and the ballnose bit was out of the collet further than the endmill making the cut deeper.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Clint
Yes, its a ball nose bit.
I've checked the tool sensor, its good and flat without center point wear and measuring on the center point.
I've sent the additional files (sorry about that)
Thanking you
Mark
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Mark,

What is the measurement for depth of pocket for the ballnose bit, and depth of the flat pocket?

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Clint
If I understand what you are asking correctly.

So that is one pocket, the outside cleanup tool is the 3.18mm ballnose.

That tool group/ material group is set up in that order so that it uses the 9.5mm for the main large pocket clean out, and then picks up the smallest pocket tool to clean out the corners.
So I haven't set it as 2 different pockets if that's what you are asking?
The depth of the pocket is 5mm.

The strange thing is we have cut this door a few time without any problems. (I cant recall changing anything major in the group)

This door isn't using the profile modeler. (Actually we had a small 2mm radius profile on the outer edge that we removed.
1) because I just wanted to try and track down this groove thing and
2) and mainly because of the humidity and the crap board was creating so much tension from the pocketing, the corners of the ends of the board was curling up causing the profile, which was getting cut after the pocketing, to cut into the board, (that was when I went looking for the "do profiling first button but I couldn't find it :lol: )
(Serious question, Is there a setting for this? or a way to force the profiling to be done first?)
I think the board manufactures are so flat out at the moment trying to keep up they are putting out anything flat and calling it board.)

And no, the groove is not being caused by the board curling up, The doors in the center of the board still have the same groove and we cut redos out of offall which doesn't have the tension to pull up the board and the groove is consistent all the way.
Like I said we have cut this door before without issue.
I wasn't going to bother with this until we cut another job to see what happened.

Its just that you released the update and I saw the bug fixes and thought it had something to do with this problem.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Mark
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Mark,

Take an actual measurement of the flat depth of the pocket and the bottom of the ballnose bit's path. See which one is correct. That will help you point to where the problem is. Both should be the same as the CNC code tells them to go to the same depth so one is giving you wrong results.

Regards,
Clint
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Clint
Thanks for the response

It would appear to be the round nose one that is cutting deeper than it should by about .4 / .5mm. The flat pocketing tool is cutting at 4.9 consistently.
I have re-nested and re-cut test pieces after the job at least 4 times,I have remeasured the tools every time to retest the result. I use the same drawer front out of the job to retest it.
It seems that we have tried everything we can think of to track it down, unless we have a eureka moment, we might just have to let this one slide into the too hard basket. :) ...... until next time :)

Thanking you
Mark
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Mark, have you tried putting another bit in place of the ballnose? Don't tell the machine... just put a flat end bit in there and measure it as if it were the ballnose, then try it.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Jeremy
Thank you.
I like the way you think. :)
So I did as you suggested, it cut perfectly. :?
I went back again and closely inspected the tool sensor. bingo. I need glasses.
I had epoxied up a divot in the top of the sensor in what only seems a short while ago, so I had half convinced myself that couldn't be the problem.
Of course repeated measuring was also just digging it deeper.
Sorry to be a pain guys, but thanks for the help and suggestions.

Mark
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Glad you got it figured out. With cutters like that (ballnose, MDF door, anything pointy or odd shaped) we keep them chucked in tool holders and never remove them. Measure them, adjust the daylight manually until it's perfect, then never remove it from the holder.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the advise.
I had forgotten / or never knew that you could change the daylight value.
Now that you have brought it to my attention it could be something that will get used a bit more.

Thanking you
Mark