Off-Fall Cut-through Depth.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Platinum_Dave

Off-Fall Cut-through Depth.

Postby Platinum_Dave » Thu, Sep 16 2021, 6:06AM

Good morning, I'm new to the forums and need some help. I wonder if anyone else has had an issue with cut-through depth particularly when it comes to cutting off-fall. The machine cuts all the pieces of a sheet perfectly but when cutting the off-fall it will dig deeper into the spoil-board. This happens randomly and I've monitored the suction pump it is not loosing suction. I reached out to our machine provider and they focused on the suction pump but I don't believe it to be that as it is ONLY the off-fall pieces and is the full perimeter of the off-fall. Has anyone else every experienced this?

(Its worth noting the suction pump was cleaned and filters changed with fresh oil in it.) this has been happing a few months now off and on and has both myself and CNC Automation baffled. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Re: Off-Fall Cut-through Depth.

Postby Stuart Douglas » Thu, Sep 16 2021, 7:28AM

David,

FWIW this is my personal experience re: off fall cut depth. The off-fall perimeter cuts are often on the edge of the work material and the outside edge of the cut line is not "supported" by work vacuumed down to the waste board. This will leave a "furry" edge that appears to be over cut for depth in the waste board. When I flycut a fresh waste board, then dial in the outline cut for NO cut through, the parts I cut are just as you describe: perfect. However, any off-fall that shares the edge of the work material, APPEARS to cut deeper because of the "furry" edge. I will sometimes see this apparently overcut edge in the field of the work material if the adjacent outlines are stepped away a bit because of the nest. Also a factor may be the incomplete vacuum on a sheet near the edges; Melamine in particular swells at the perimeter and will not seat fully on the board, especially at the edges, or where the bunks were strapped to a unit of material.

You can verify that the cut depth for off fall is set correctly by comparing the Gcode for an outlined part against the off fall to be sure they are the same. They should share the same Z depth.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS

Platinum_Dave

Postby Platinum_Dave » Thu, May 05 2022, 12:20PM

Hey Stuart! Sorry for late reply. I thought that at first as well but it is the entire piece of off-fall. Sometimes which is half of a 4'x8' sheet. So well in the center away from the edges. It is also a consistent depth the entire way around the off-fall. I imagine if related to the vacuum or suction it would not be as consistent. And it is random when it happens. Sometimes a few times a week, sometimes not for months. Kinda why I posted here to see if other experienced operators ever encountered this happening ever.

Cheers. Dave.

Joshua Caron
Company Name: Windmill Cabinet Shop LTD

Postby Joshua Caron » Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:35AM

Yesterday afternoon was the first time we experienced this random cut depth on a sheet good. Only happened to one machine so far. We inputted a manual panel that was 30x96. During the outline of the off-fall, the cutter went down 1/4 into the the wasteboard for about 6 inches along X. Happened during the running of 3/4 sheet good too. However, in this instance, only during the outline cut of 4 parts on the 10 part sheet did the cutter go into the wasteboard. The other parts were fine.

Tooling length was correct and the tool did not slip in the collet.

Platinum_Dave

Postby Platinum_Dave » Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:42AM

Hey Joshua, That may be what our supplier (CNC Automation) thought of on my machine, perhaps a hiccup in the suction pump if you use one to hold piece down to the table. Or perhaps debris under the spoilboard. Not sure, In our case it is the entire perimeter of the off-fall that cuts deeper then the nested pieces (Designed in E-Cab. ) So i'm at a loss as to why. CNC Automation can't seem to understand what's happening as I'm explaining it to them and continue to blame loss of suction from the pump. However I set up a small camera to watch the gauge and it never dips when the issue happens. I've chalked it up to an error when it writes the mdb code from nesting, and keep updating the software on our CNC often. It hasn't done it in a few weeks knock on wood :P haha.

David

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Postby Tommy Wieler » Fri, Aug 19 2022, 7:16AM

Return to “Thermwood 3-Axis Machinery”