Restart halfway through a sheet

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Restart halfway through a sheet

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Greetings all!
I was just wondering if there's any way to resume cutting from any given point in a sheet. For example, we were cutting a sheet that takes roughly half an hour, and I was going to watch some of the tutorial videos that are saved on the machine, and the computer crashed and shut down just as the sheet was almost done cutting. My only option right now is to restart cutting the entire sheet, when I really only need to finish outlining the last 3 or 4 parts. This wastes a lot of time, and I was wondering if there's a way I can restart the machine where it left off, or maybe to be safe, a few steps back from where it got interrupted.
It would be neat if the machine could save a bookmark of where it was in the sheet at the time of the e-stop, and automatically offer to restart the program from where it got interrupted, similar to other programs like MS Office that automatically save backup copies of your open documents and when the program gets unexpectedly shut down, it'll offer to recover your work the next time you start the program.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Restart halfway through a sheet

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Tommy
I have wondered the same thing myself and I was going to ask this question as well.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

You can restart the sheet as usual and after it starts rapid moving block stop and search for your outline tool. Push start on that tool and it should give you a prompt of "do you wish to start on this line". Just say yes and it will start doing the outline again. Make sure when starting the program again you go through the initial lines and enter the wasteboard, pop the pins up and then jump to the sheet you want. I say all this assuming you are running code output by Control Nesting. Any other code may not allow you to do it so easily.

You can also jump to the rapid move line of code of the desired part after you've let it make the tool change. BUT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE CODE!

Forrest
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Forrest, I tried doing that, but I must have done something wrong, since it went off and started cutting outside my wasteboard area. Seems like somewhere along the way it must have missed a line of code. This approach would probably work better for someone that knew how to read code. I got it to skip to the right tool, but it went out of my regular cutting area...
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

You have to start the program from the beginning and go through the wasteboard setting as well as pop the pins up. Should be on a "pins down" (M62L8 on my machine) command. Do a line search to the sheet you want to cut on, start at the same "pins down" line of code to get the sheet going. You may have to back up to the "pins down" line. Push start and after it changes tools or whatever its going to do at the start of the program let it rapid move and then block stop it and skip to the outline tool number.

Forrest
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Forrest Chapman wrote:You have to start the program from the beginning and go through the wasteboard setting as well as pop the pins up. Should be on a "pins down" (M62L8 on my machine) command. Do a line search to the sheet you want to cut on, start at the same "pins down" line of code to get the sheet going. You may have to back up to the "pins down" line. Push start and after it changes tools or whatever its going to do at the start of the program let it rapid move and then block stop it and skip to the outline tool number.

Forrest
Sorry I'm digging up this old post. Can you elaborate? I've issued the block stop, but when I want to find the tool number I wish to skip to, it says "READY mode is required for this operation."
Tommy Wieler

Post by Tommy Wieler »

never mind, i just figured it out. thanks!