Handling Sheets

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Handling Sheets

Post by Rob Davis »

Do any of you have good ways to handle sheets of material on and off the machine other than just brute force manhandle it? We are looking at air hoist on circular post with suction cups but that won't help on flip operations. So we are wondering about a clamp for edge that can flip the sheet. I am concerned about one of our 5-foot-nothing operators flipping 5x10 sheets of melamine and plywood.
Any great ideas?? Pictures always helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Handling Sheets

Post by Clint Buechlein »

You mean like a cool sheet flip device https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eoU1nY_l1k.

PS That's my hand in the video, if you happen to know anyone looking for a hand model :D

-Clint-
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Clint, kind of like that. So I am almost scared to ask but what is the cost of that from T-Wood? And you are flipping 4x8 plywood and we need 5x10 melamine that is full of holes already - will it stay intact doing that?
One thing about the vacuum lift is we can pick off the stack by the machine and not have to lift it on there as well.

If the hand goes with the body and the hand wants to run a CNC all day, I will inquire about the daily rate of a hand model....
:beer:
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Rob Davis wrote:Clint, kind of like that. So I am almost scared to ask but what is the cost of that from T-Wood? And you are flipping 4x8 plywood and we need 5x10 melamine that is full of holes already - will it stay intact doing that?
One thing about the vacuum lift is we can pick off the stack by the machine and not have to lift it on there as well.

If the hand goes with the body and the hand wants to run a CNC all day, I will inquire about the daily rate of a hand model....
:beer:
Not cheap I'm sure as it is lead screw and rack driven with an air brake, lots of expensive parts. We've only put the flipper on one machine other than a Cut Center for a new machine not a retro. You can email retrofits@thermwood.com and they should be able to give you a yay or nay. The flipper can do 5x10 without issue, would just depend on the kind of holes you're talking. It works by pinching 6-8" of the sheet with air bags then rotates around so the sheet would need to be rigid enough to withstand that.

My job here in the air conditioning at my desk is pretty good so I may have to pass on that :lol:

-Clint-